diy solar

diy solar

Bulletproof Off-grid System Recommendations?

16 years ago i put 1000w on my off grid cabin at 10k in the colorado rockies...

I had plenty of power during the summer. I did all the work myself, and that system brought great pride and reward over thoese years. Last year I sold that little cabin, but the system will likely continue to perform for another decade.
Good read! Bittersweet, but I hope I'm also able to look back in 10-20 years and feel this whole solar power thing was worthwhile (and not an ongoing hassle).

I also want to build in the capability of an electric fridge in the future

For a cabin, probably worth looking into a DC refrigerator, fwiw. Full-size AC refrigerators meant for use in houses consume a pretty ridiculous amount of power by comparison.

Hi,

I have been researching DIY solar for a few weeks now as I am contemplating installing a full solar power system in my off-grid seasonal cabin, and I'm hoping to get some candid feedback from this community.

Then more I research relatively inexpensive all-in-one units from Growatt, EG4, Mpp, etc., the more they seem finicky and prone to failure. Will's last couple video reviews are a case in point.
You are probably a good candidate for Victron although I am pretty much all Conext, aka Schneider. I will be adding some Victron to my setup this year as I add 15 kwh of LFP to my existing batteries. I suggest you think about your system DC voltage. I don't think that anyone putting in an all new off grid system should consider anything but a 48 v system.
I'm looking for a system that is very reliable, and I want to spend a minimum amount of time troubleshooting equipment or software issues, especially since I do not and will not have Internet or cell service at the cabin. The whole project is aimed at making my life simpler, not more complicated.

This seems to be leading me to Victron or Morningstar even though system design and initial installation seems more complicated. The Morningstar components seem especially robust, but their "industrial" focus is a bit intimidating.
FYI, I'm aiming for a system with 4-5KW solar, 5kwh max daily usage, 15-20 kwh lithium battery bank.
Seasonal use only in the summer? Off season usage? Where are you located? My off grid cabin is in northern Saskatchewan (55 degrees N) so in the summer I get lots of sun. We use about 11 kwh per day and our 4 kwh array provides 98% of the power we need. We live at the cabin full time from mid-May to mid-October. I probably run the generator for less than 5 - 10 hours total all summer and sometimes I run it so that I can put fresh fuel in and make sure it works. Currently I have a 40 kwh FLA battery bank, but, as I mentioned above, I am going to introduce 15 kwh of LFP this spring.
For me, simplicity = reliability, and as a newbie to this, I'd appreciate some frank guidance from those of you with experience building these systems. Thanks in advance!
There is a lot of cool new stuff out there to choose from and if you can and will DIY your system you will learn enough to be self supporting. I designed and installed my own off grid system back in 2012. I am glad that I took the time to do it. I really have not had any problem that I could not immediately diagnose and fix. You are on a good path, this forum is great for DIYers. Another forum worth mentioning is Northern Arizona Wind and Sun's forum. I used that a lot since this site didn't exist back then. This stuff is not real hard to figure out but mistakes can be expensive. Don't cheap out on safety!

That sounds like a success story to me. I also have a gundfos soft start well pump currently in place. We run a propane stove, water heater and refrigerator and use about 100-125 gallons of propane a year with our seasonal usage. Totally hear you about keeping power needs modest and simplicity. As my kids will begin using the cabin on their own, I think I want electric lighting for sure. I also want to build in the capability of an electric fridge in the future, ceiling fans, filling my basement cistern from the well without running the generator, and the ability to run shop tools. It adds up quick...but determined to keep it below 5kw max.
Once I electrified my cabin I was able to use electric for refrigeration, starlink, a TV, power tools, electric blankets, lights and a lot things. I cook now a lot with an induction hot plate to save on propane. I use propane now exclusively for heating,

Good read! Bittersweet, but I hope I'm also able to look back in 10-20 years and feel this whole solar power thing was worthwhile (and not an ongoing hassle).

For a cabin, probably worth looking into a DC refrigerator, fwiw. Full-size AC refrigerators meant for use in houses consume a pretty ridiculous amount of power by comparison.
I would not bother with a DC fridge. A good Energy Star a/c fridge, even a big one isn't a big deal anymore. A bit over 1 kwh per day. I run two large fridges 21', 19' and a 10 cu ft. deep freeze on 4000 kw array. The array also provides enough power to run my dish washer, make most of my hot water, microwave, coffee maker, electric kettle, Starlink, 240 volt submersible water pump, log splitter, 60 " big screen TV, Bell TV Satellite receiver, stereo, all my power tools, countless (it seems) laptops, cell phones and tablets No problem. I haven't shopped around but I just looked up a Danzer 10 cu ft 24v dc fridge for a mere $2340. Buy a few more panels and get a great fridge. Maybe even get the icemaker option!

You are probably a good candidate for Victron although I am pretty much all Conext, aka Schneider. I will be adding some Victron to my setup this year as I add 15 kwh of LFP to my existing batteries. I suggest you think about your system DC voltage. I don't think that anyone putting in an all new off grid system should consider anything but a 48 v system.

Seasonal use only in the summer? Off season usage? Where are you located? My off grid cabin is in northern Saskatchewan (55 degrees N) so in the summer I get lots of sun. We use about 11 kwh per day and our 4 kwh array provides 98% of the power we need. We live at the cabin full time from mid-May to mid-October. I probably run the generator for less than 5 - 10 hours total all summer and sometimes I run it so that I can put fresh fuel in and make sure it works. Currently I have a 40 kwh FLA battery bank, but, as I mentioned above, I am going to introduce 15 kwh of LFP this spring.

There is a lot of cool new stuff out there to choose from and if you can and will DIY your system you will learn enough to be self supporting. I designed and installed my own off grid system back in 2012. I am glad that I took the time to do it. I really have not had any problem that I could not immediately diagnose and fix. You are on a good path, this forum is great for DIYers. Another forum worth mentioning is Northern Arizona Wind and Sun's forum. I used that a lot since this site didn't exist back then. This stuff is not real hard to figure out but mistakes can be expensive. Don't cheap out on safety!
I'm definitely planning on 48V LFP batteries.

Your usage sounds a lot like ours. We are there (northern Vermont) most of the time between early May and late October. We don't really use it off season as we drain out the water at the end of the season and we would have to snowshoe in to stay there -- fun when checking on it but not so great to stay.

I'm thinking our PV array will also be between 4-5Kw. I run our generator 20 hours a year, mostly when cleaning up when opening and closing the cabin, and I'd like to get that as close to zero as possible as I add capacity for lights, fans, shop tools, etc.

I got to this forum via Will's YouTube videos and both have been an education, for sure. Thanks for the feedback!

I would not bother with a DC fridge. A good Energy Star a/c fridge, even a big one isn't a big deal anymore. A bit over 1 kwh per day. I run two large fridges 21', 19' and a 10 cu ft. deep freeze on 4000 kw array. The array also provides enough power to run my dish washer, make most of my hot water, microwave, coffee maker, electric kettle, Starlink, 240 volt submersible water pump, log splitter, 60 " big screen TV, Bell TV Satellite receiver, stereo, all my power tools, countless (it seems) laptops, cell phones and tablets No problem. I haven't shopped around but I just looked up a Danzer 10 cu ft 24v dc fridge for a mere $2340. Buy a few more panels and get a great fridge. Maybe even get the icemaker option!
@bfitzgerald +1000

FWIW, with the newer high efficiency AC stuff, I haven't seen a situation where the benefit of DC appliances justifies their cost.
Fair enough, if adding more capacity to your system is an option. I was just thinking in terms of reducing consumption overall - my big fridge is something like 1.8kWh/day, which constitutes ~20% of my household consumption.

Hi,

I have been researching DIY solar for a few weeks now as I am contemplating installing a full solar power system in my off-grid seasonal cabin, and I'm hoping to get some candid feedback from this community.

You seem to know what kind of loads you will need to supply. However do you have a location the lends itself to solar power generation? You will want a place that is unshaded by trees, horizon, tall structures during the prime daylight hours of 9am to 6pm. If your cabin location is such that it gets a lot of overcast days it can also affect your setup plans.

Also do not forget that all the wiring of the cabin can be a major undertaking and cost.

You seem to know what kind of loads you will need to supply. However do you have a location the lends itself to solar power generation? You will want a place that is unshaded by trees, horizon, tall structures during the prime daylight hours of 9am to 6pm. If your cabin location is such that it gets a lot of overcast days it can also affect your setup plans.

Also do not forget that all the wiring of the cabin can be a major undertaking and cost.
Yes, we've been in the cabin for several years now and I have a spot for a ground mounted rack picked out. I'm calculating PV potential with location specific calculators. Luckily we wired the cabin to code when we built it with the idea of installing a full solar power system in the future. That time has come.

Yes, we've been in the cabin for several years now and I have a spot for a ground mounted rack picked out. I'm calculating PV potential with location specific calculators. Luckily we wired the cabin to code when we built it with the idea of installing a full solar power system in the future. That time has come.

if code is mandatory, 48V Victron inverters are not UL1741.

If it was me starting from scratch on a remote location, I second the idea of putting it underground like a root cellar with a double door setup. This will keep your Temps well above freezing.

If it was me starting from scratch on a remote location, I second the idea of putting it underground like a root cellar with a double door setup. This will keep your Temps well above freezing.
It’s rarely that simple. In my area, once I did down 8 feet, I hit ground water, now i would have to build a water proof structure to house he batteries /electronics and deal with high humidity environment. I have a root cellar, its great for storing potatoes and cabbage, but i don’t want my expense batteries down there. I looked into burying a cement tank, etc, but all those ideas were impractical and not cost effective. But I totally agree, the basic idea is great.

Next year, i’m going to dig a deep trench and install a poor man’s geothermal system to heat my solar power shed…

rkymtnoffgrd-I miss your cabin ?. It’s perfect.
It was... but wrong site and it simply required too many cords of wood to heat to realistically retire there year-round, working on a new retirement cabin now, better site, less than a mile away, super insulated, super tight, wood will only be backup not primary, all DIY... Brooklyn, your asking all the right questions...

Attachments

• hot tub.JPG
    hot tub.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 17
FWIW at a minimum get a sol ark 12k, the 5k is a bit under powered, the 8k cost almost the same as the 12k, but you are getting way more inverter out of the 12k and ALOT more flexibility for the future.

FWIW at a minimum get a sol ark 12k, the 5k is a bit under powered, the 8k cost almost the same as the 12k, but you are getting way more inverter out of the 12k and ALOT more flexibility for the future.
I agree with that. The 12K is really a great AIO.

Back