diy solar

diy solar

burning out inverters

fire hazard

hi guys can someone explain to me why im burning out inverters things were working great no issues,so ive had these inverters for years sitting in a box,2 1000w inverters fried,lasts for a couple days,so now i hooked up my 3000w inverter motomaster eliminator,working good next day it has shut off with the errror opp,i believe it means ac short circuit,because this is a better inverter it just shuts down no damage,reset it runs for awhile then faults to opp error,running 420w load,i do not have a ground not sure if i need one for such a small system,so three 51ah 12v in parallel

hi guys can someone explain to me why im burning out inverters things were working great no issues,so ive had these inverters for years sitting in a box,2 1000w inverters fried,lasts for a couple days,so now i hooked up my 3000w inverter motomaster eliminator,working good next day it has shut off with the errror opp,i believe it means ac short circuit,because this is a better inverter it just shuts down no damage,reset it runs for awhile then faults to opp error,running 420w load,i do not have a ground not sure if i need one for such a small system,so three 51ah 12v in parallel
google says im pulling to much from the batteries 420w is that a possibility

It sort of would really help if you give us the brand and model number of the inverters so we can do a little research.

What kind of load is it?
What happen if you connect light load such as lamp to see what happen?
How is the load connected to the inverter? Through panel box with circuit breaker? No bad intermittent shorted wiring?

What kind of load is it?
What happen if you connect light load such as lamp to see what happen?
im running a bunch of lights and a fan lol,disconnected the fan,modified sign wave didnt like it,maybe thats it,running good at the moment

From the manual.

When you turn on an appliance or a tool that operates using a motor or tubes, it
requires an initial surge of power to start up.

It's not wrong, just 60 years out of date. :)

I use a outlet strip with a built in breaker so any short would trip the breaker instead of frying the inverter. Learned the hard way.

FYI

$8 Outlet strips with “15amp breaker” is the number one cause of fires. Sounds like you and the OP are made for each other.

To the OP at 12.2v those batteries are about dead. You’d want >13.5 for carrying any load for longer than a few hours.

FYI

$8 Outlet strips with “15amp breaker” is the number one cause of fires. Sounds like you and the OP are made for each other.

To the OP at 12.2v those batteries are about dead. You’d want >13.5 for carrying any load for longer than a few hours.
yeah but thats when it switches over to mains,been running good for a bit now ,i think it was the fan it would hum on the inverter then the hum is gone when it switches over so hopefully the problem is solved ,thanks to all who chimed in

Outlet strips with “15amp breaker” is the number one cause of fires. Sounds like you and the OP are made for each other.
I think your grouping all extension cords together and you shouldn't exaggerate the danger. No one will heed real dangers. I fear those 18 awg cords plugged in my 20 amp outlets too.

Last edited:
I think your grouping all extension cords together and you shouldn't exaggerate the danger. No one will heed real dangers. I fear those 18 awg cords plugged in my 20 amp outlets too.
you looking in my window lol,your not far off i paid five bucks for this round tower of power bar with on off switches on it and a breaker it was under suspiction as well as the fan,both are gone,its just a wait and see if the inverter likes what i did,thanks again

All I’m saying is I wouldn’t be trusting a $8 power strip for my over current protection many many videos and cases of those power strip “bkrs” holding much higher than 15amps and there have been fires. Use them as easy disconnect switches, but invest a few bucks in actual over current protection of an actual breaker or fuse.

But then again, there should be some sort of over current protection on the DC side of the inverter as well.

Back