diy solar

diy solar

bus bar depth and cable diameter

Stiffmeister

Is .250 x 1" tinned copper acceptable for making bus bars? There is an option of .1875 x 1" but copper only. I'm pulling the cells out of of my SHUNBIN 12v batteries and making a 48v setup with Overkill Solar 16s BMS. Considering that this setup is 100 amps max drawing from battery bank, is 2/0 battery cables an acceptable size? My original solar setup came with 4/0 cables for the main +/- to inverter (I now have two Outback Inverters). Charging these four batteries in series with the original BMS, it was feeding over 2000 watts and the positive connector would get warm.

3/16" x 1" will work. The DC Bus Bar Ampacity table in the link below does not have 3/16", but it does have 1/8" and lists a minimum ampacity of 271. That should be plenty for your battery considering a max draw of 100 amps.

I didn't go with less than 1/4" because it wasn't the tinned copper bar. Ordered after another guy was ordering the same thing today and sent a message. Thanks.

Is .250 x 1" tinned copper acceptable for making bus bars? There is an option of .1875 x 1" but copper only. I'm pulling the cells out of of my SHUNBIN 12v batteries and making a 48v setup with Overkill Solar 16s BMS. Considering that this setup is 100 amps max drawing from battery bank, is 2/0 battery cables an acceptable size? My original solar setup came with 4/0 cables for the main +/- to inverter (I now have two Outback Inverters). Charging these four batteries in series with the original BMS, it was feeding over 2000 watts and the positive connector would get warm.
Likely the busbar that came with the cells is fine for 100 amps. 1/4 inch by 1 inch is overkill, but should give no problems. Just make sure the connection to the terminals are good.

Back