diy solar

diy solar

Bus bar or plug for DC fridge

Jonathan123

Hi all. I'm very new to solar and DC and am trying to get my head around understanding electricity generally. Today I have a specific question about how to wire my DC fridge. I'll have 8 awg wire coming from my fuse block for a run of just under 30' going to a Unique 10.3 cf DC fridge. Both have bare wires. Is the best way to connect these a cigarette lighter plug, SAE, bus bar, or other? Bus bar seems the simplest and would allow me to add some lights at the fridge. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
So you have a DC fuse block connected to your batteries (either directly or to bus bars)?

If that's the case then you should run wires from each DC load to that fuse block so that each DC load gets its own fuse.

Whether you use some sort of plug for the fridge depends on whether the installation is permanent or not.

The fridge averages 4.5 amps but Unique wants it on a 15 amp circuit. I'll run everything back to the fuse block and am only thinking of a very low draw led light nearby. The location of the fridge will be pretty much permanent. The bus bar occurred to me because it seemed easier and just as good - but I'm interested to hear why it might not be a good idea.

The fridge averages 4.5 amps but Unique wants it on a 15 amp circuit. I'll run everything back to the fuse block and am only thinking of a very low draw led light nearby. The location of the fridge will be pretty much permanent. The bus bar occurred to me because it seemed easier and just as good - but I'm interested to hear why it might not be a good idea.
No disadvantage I can think of other than it uses more space and is more difficult to disconnect. If you don’t need to disconnect often and have moderate space available it’s a great option

The bus bar occurred to me because it seemed easier and just as good - but I'm interested to hear why it might not be a good idea.
Every DC load needs to be fused. You state that you already have a DC fuse block. So run the wires to the fuse block. If you run the wires to the bus bar instead you will then need to add an inline fuse. But that makes no sense since you have a fuse block.

It is possible that there is a misunderstanding of your intent. I would suggest that you post a schematic of your wiring setup with all components. Show what you have and show how you would intend to wire the fridge using a bus bar. The diagram should ensure there is no confusion. Be sure your diagram shows all wire, fuse, and breaker sizes as well as what each component is and relevant specs.

Gotcha, thanks. I have a fuse block from which I'll run about 30' of 8 awg to the location of the fridge, and that's obviously fused since it originates at the fuse block. The fridge then has a few feet of bare wire that I'd either need to use a cigarette or SAE style plug and socket to join with the 8 awg or else use a bus bar, unless there's another option. The fridge itself is fused, and if I add an led nearby I'd make sure that was fused. It's really a question of the best way to connect the fridge to the line coming from the fuse block.

Not sure why you are running 8AWG to a device with such a low amperage. 10AWG should be plenty for a 30' run. Just butt splice the wires together. No plugs needed, no bus bars needed.

Back