diy solar

diy solar

Bus bar sizing

Gould

I’m trying to match the ampacity of my bus bars with the fuse I have downstream (400 amp although unlikely I will ever get close to that draw) I went with 1/4” copper. I knew I’d have to shave about 1/16” for the nuts due to the length of the studs but should be fine.

Connecting everything got me thinking though. If expansion of these cells is such a concern why not use 4/0 cable to connect the terminals vs rigid copper?

Lots of folks are using braided busbars already, so basically the same idea.

The question you ask is the reason I will be using 1/4" closed cell foam between my batteries.
It will allow for irregular surfaces between the batteries, expansion, contraction and compression.

The question you ask is the reason I will be using 1/4" closed cell foam between my batteries.
It will allow for irregular surfaces between the batteries, expansion, contraction and compression.
Do you think you’ll still get the benefits of compression?

Do you think you’ll still get the benefits of compression?
Based on what I have read and videos I have seen it increases the cycle life of the batteries.
Being LifePo4 batteries are not cheap anything I can do to increase the life I am willing to try.
And yes I do as long as the foam is dense enough to handle the pressure.

The foam isn't a bad idea, for sure. Every Automaker battery I've seen thus far have had plastic separaters between each cell that seem to have flexibility designed into them that allows for expansion/contractions. I'd think they would know most of what we're trying to learn. At least that's been the case in the Panasonic cells use in the Ford C-Max Energi and the Samsung SDI cells in the BMW.

I‘m planing on using 1/8” cork sheets between the cells to protect from accidental shorting, just a coincidence that it may also help with expansion

Back