diy solar

diy solar

bus bars, grounding wire, 48v-12v converter, and wiring an AC/DC distribution panel questions

johnim

I have one 48V server rack battery and a3Kw AIO inverter both EG4 from Signature Solar in a skoolie conversion. I plan to run a 6 gauge chassis ground wire from the inverter as it is one size down from the largest wire size in the system which is 4 gauge from the battery to the inverter. Currently, the inverter is wired directly to the battery but I know this is not recommended so I will also use the provided 125 amp breaker between the battery and inverter positive lead and I will utilize 600 amp bus bars between the battery and inverter and the DC portion of the distribution panel. Sig Solar documentation shows 600 amp bars used with two batteries and I have just the one but may get another in the future so decided better to bite the bullet spend more than I'd like on 2 expensive blocks of metal. Almost forgot I bought the Victron Orion 48v-12v 30A DC converter to go from 48 to 12 volts.

So first question is 6 gauge for grounding too much? Next is what size wire should I run from the 12 volt side of the converter to the DC distribution panel? The converter is 30 amp and the wire will be maybe a foot long so I believe I could use 10 gauge...but I'm a little confused. In addition, I plan to use 10 gauge for the 48 volt side of the converter from the battery and for my 12 volt runs within the skoolie. For the AC side I will run inverter AC out to a 30 amp breaker and then install additional breakers for my AC runs. Lastly, I am planning probably 10/2 romex for the AC runs but is a 12/2 or 12/3 indicated?

So if you've made it to the end thanks and if you have any input it's appreciated as always!

Ok, I'll start off....
6ga ground wire is fine, it can never be too big. Wire size is a touchy subject, just use wire charts and you will be fine. And a one foot length will never require as much as long runs. There are wire charts all over the internet?
I know wire is expensive, but nobody wants hot (temp) wires.

well sig solar has best deal I could find on bus bars..about $90 for a pair rated for 600amp vs $100 for one 600 amp elsewhere

Back