Bus bars Lifepo4- not enough space

kje

If you look at the picture there is not enough space for a nut on the top of the Bus bars on this Lifepo4 battery. How can I solve this?

(3p4s configuration)

20191212_133446.jpg

Fred

Solar Enthusiast
You could drill a new hole in the lower bus bar between two of the the existing holes and move the top plate over to it and use a new stainless steel nut/bolt to make that connection.

SCClockDr

Solar Addict
  • With an end mill. Halve the thickness of both pieces where they join.
  • Use a wider bar & form a T & bolt on to the tab.

SCClockDr

Solar Addict
If that is flattened pipe, notch the lower one prior to flattening & do the same on the end of the upper tie piece. I'd then reverse your order of assembly placing the tie piece below the cell bus bar.
I might also sweat the pieces together by bolting & soldering prior to installation. Use a stainless bolt, nut, & washers to clamp them for sweating.

danphillips

Solar Enthusiast
you could extend the bar further on one end and add another hole
or
check with a local metal shop and see if they can CNC (or water jet) cut a "T" for you, I don't think it would cost too much.

kje

If that is flattened pipe, notch the lower one prior to flattening & do the same on the end of the upper tie piece. I'd then reverse your order of assembly placing the tie piece below the cell bus bar.
I might also sweat the pieces together by bolting & soldering prior to installation. Use a stainless bolt, nut, & washers to clamp them for sweating.

Yes it's flattened pipe. What do you mean by "notch the lower one prior to flattening & do the same on the end of the upper tie piece"?

My English is not so good...

maxx123

Solar Enthusiast
You could drill a new hole in the lower bus bar between two of the the existing holes and move the top plate over to it and use a new stainless steel nut/bolt to make that connection.
is it being connected to another or just the end post ?

SCClockDr

Solar Addict
Yes it's flattened pipe. What do you mean by "notch the lower one prior to flattening & do the same on the end of the upper tie piece"?

My English is not so good...
Here You Go:
Buss Diagram-01.jpg
EDIT: I updated the image, showing the final assembly.

Last edited:

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Or just put the bar on a anvil, put a chunk of steel bar over it where the connection will go, and whack it a few times with a hand maul to thin it out. Annealed copper is soft and it squishes pretty easily.

SCClockDr

Solar Addict
Regarding post #10:
I'd constrain myself to the limits of the post mating diameter. (It might mean narrowing the tab width a bit over the center post. Once clear of the primary buss then full width.) That way you will maximize strength & current capability.

SCClockDr

Solar Addict
Or just put the bar on a anvil, put a chunk of steel bar over it where the connection will go, and whack it a few times with a hand maul to thin it out. Annealed copper is soft and it squishes pretty easily.
I've had copper become brittle from over-working it. Take care!
EDIT: It would also affect the hole spacing as the lower piece smushed out. Not a problem if making a new piece though.

Last edited:

Maast

Compulsive Tinkerer
Thanks for all help. I smashed them with a hammer. 😊
LOL, it doesnt have to be pretty - just work. BTW you did a nice job when you originally flattened your pipes, whenever I do it it looks like a 8 year old was using a rock...

Mark.Jackson

Solar Enthusiast
A few days ago, I was learning something about bus. The best bus should be silver, but they are very expensive.