diy solar

diy solar

Busbars...Victron Lynx Distributor or just the Victron Lynx Power In?

LydMekk

Call me Icarus
Looking for a busbar for my new DIY batteries to tie them into my existing battery bank.
A lot of the simpler versions out there is everything from stainless steel to brass etc.
Not optimal.

Victron has 2 different types (I got no Victron equipment from before)
Victron Lynx Distributor and the Victron Lynx Power In.
Basically the same box only the Dist has fuse sensors and LED lights for the fuses.
Otherwise they look the same.
Price difference is around 70 Euro more for the Dist.

Which one do I choose? Suggestions?

Blue Sea Systems has a good variety of bus bars. If you don't need the integrated fusing that the Lynx Distributor provides then the Blue Sea bus bars are excellent. I'm using two of their PowerBar 1000 in my system.

Blue Sea Systems has a good variety of bus bars. If you don't need the integrated fusing that the Lynx Distributor provides then the Blue Sea bus bars are excellent. I'm using two of their PowerBar 1000 in my system.

I agree with you those are very nice (i had looked at them myself)
..though the price tag (in Europe at least) is near prohibitive...

that's the plan.
I was considering plated bars (tinned / nickel plated as i'm close to the sea) though pretty hard to find..

Make sure to use electrical anti-ox on the terminals

Any good product suggestion on that respect
I've read that some make more mess than they should and actually the result is opposite to the aimed objective (e.g. worst contact / higher resistance / ..)

Good video. Ordered the normal Victron Lynx Power In.
As I have no need for a Victron BMS module (or their batteries) there is no point for me to buy the Distributor version).
Also, save 70 euros...
I will do the same as in the video and place M8 bolts etc. in it to mount the fuses.
Saving some euros not having to buy a fuse holder with lid is also cool.

Thanks all.

Any good product suggestion on that respect
I've read that some make more mess than they should and actually the result is opposite to the aimed objective (e.g. worst contact / higher resistance / ..)
Ask you local electricians or utility worker what they use very common on copper to aluminum connections and does a good job to prevent corrosion and oxidation

For info

Episode 36 – STOP USING NOALOX ON ALUMINUM – putting pookie on aluminum wire – Electrician U...

electricianu.com
electricianu.com

I think that mostly refers to aluminum wiring. I would hazard a guess that less than 1 in 5000 forum members are using aluminum wiring.

yes agree, but we were talking (see post above #10) about copper / aluminium interface in a "salty" environment (e.g. near shore)

I saw upnorthandpersonal pointed to that resource which imho appies also to the above conditions -> antyox and avoid aluminium erosion
beeing cells battery terminals aluminium and "interconnects" (not really bus bars) copper
best would be to use plated "interconnects" but still terminals may oxide...

I think the point of that webpage was that the wiring is using a different alloy that doesn't require Noalox. I question whether our cell terminals are using that same aluminum alloy.

I think the point of that webpage was that the wiring is using a different alloy that doesn't require Noalox. I question whether our cell terminals are using that same aluminum alloy.

yeah 8xxx Alu
i confess i don't know which alu the cells terminals are made of, good point
have searched a bit in the forum but didn't come to a conclusion

Lynx Power In’s modified to accept fuses. Excellent all in one buss bars. Can’t build them for what you can buy them for. 1000A rated also.

Attachments

• BC0F4BE7-C473-4A35-B5B5-9E4448E695A0.jpeg
    BC0F4BE7-C473-4A35-B5B5-9E4448E695A0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
  • 4F686741-3470-48B2-B8F3-3165A0462B10.jpeg
    4F686741-3470-48B2-B8F3-3165A0462B10.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
Lynx Power In’s modified to accept fuses. Excellent all in one buss bars. Can’t build them for what you can buy them for. 1000A rated also.
What racks are you using for your battery packs?

Back