diy solar

diy solar

Buyers Remorse? - I just ordered 5 * 'NEW 8 Pack SAB 3.2v 55ah 176wh 60280 Cells' from Battery Hookup

I hope it's OK to bring resume this conversation. I have some of these, and one 8 cell battery has been paralleled with 20AH of 2170 packs in test (which is accumulating solar power from at most 600 _nominal_ watts of panels, and then running 24V mobile refrigeration, an inverter to make tea and cook the occasional meal, and such) for a while. I don't have any numbers direct numbers, but it hasn't failed me yet. I have seen a little over 1KWH out of the inverter, although most days are less, and, although I've heard a low voltage alarm on a morning or two, never run them to low voltage cutoff. The average load, overnight, is under about a 100W, probably over about 50W.

All that says to me (bear in mind that this is my first test on this scale) that they held up reasonably, even though I kind of beat them up by charging them a little over 28V too many times. A comment on a battery group on FB makes me think I might be able to buy more of these soon. I think they might be OK for my kind of application (low charging rates = under 0.5C, low to moderate discharge rates perhaps just a few amps over 1C, for short periods).

I like the cylindrical cells, they are easy to connect (after I figured out that the required nuts are metric) and the cylinders leave room for some air circulation. Does anyone know anything I might be missing?
BTW, my plan from here is to build two more such batteries (I purchased enough last year to do that), connect them in parallel, and swap them for this one, then run capacity tests on the 8 cells taken out of service.

I'm interested in seeing what you and others do with these 60280. I bought a second set of 8 from BH after they re-listed holders and busbars, and before they sold out. I also got another Overkill Solar 120A BMS, but haven't had a chance to build the second 12v battery yet.

I'm curious how you are mixing LION batteries with these LiFePO4 battery batteries...seems to be an odd pairing unless the 2170 are somehow also LiFePO4.

I'm interested in seeing what you and others do with these 60280. I bought a second set of 8 from BH after they re-listed holders and busbars, and before they sold out. I also got another Overkill Solar 120A BMS, but haven't had a chance to build the second 12v battery yet.

I'm curious how you are mixing LION batteries with these LiFePO4 battery batteries...seems to be an odd pairing unless the 2170 are somehow also LiFePO4.
I just checked my records, I've been running this pack, starting with no BMS (but not going very close to the full charge or discharge) for the first couple of weeks, and the rest with the cheapest Daly BMS I could find, for just about 6 months now. Interestingly, I am experiencing a very gray morning, and the one (cheap, everything is cheap here) SOC meter I have says it's under 30% SOC. Last night it was around 70%, but still, it is less than I thought I would see. Well, the weather report says I will have some sun within the hour, so...

Last edited:
It won't work at 12V, but, when I, eh, charged into this project, with little experience, I started with 24V 2170 7S packs, and then was able to add the 60280 8S back because it was pretty close to the same voltage range.

Back