diy solar

diy solar

Buying 4 100w panels for RV

RV4FUN

My RV currently has 2 - 100w flexible SunPower panels on the roof with Zamp controller (all 4 years old).
I'm thinking of replacing these with 4 new 100w rigid panels. Thinking doing 2 -series, 2-parallel and a new Victron 100/30 controller.
Looking at the Renogy (compact design) 100w panels on sale for $85 each.
Are these pretty good panels? Other recommendations?

Thank you.

Other recommendations?
Can you fit bigger panels on your roof? A single 400W panel would be my choice by a long shot.

Otherwise if your are Tetris constrained with little panels, 2S2P is a good option.
I would recommend a better SCC since its the heart and brains of your system. A good SCC is a great investment and usually offers easier setup and more reliable service.

I would try to make allowances to use your 2 existing flexible panels for deployable use (you park in shade, set these panels up in the sun).

Can you fit bigger panels on your roof? A single 400W panel would be my choice by a long shot.

Otherwise if your are Tetris constrained with little panels, 2S2P is a good option.
I would recommend a better SCC since its the heart and brains of your system. A good SCC is a great investment and usually offers easier setup and more reliable service.

I would try to make allowances to use your 2 existing flexible panels for deployable use (you park in shade, set these panels up in the sun).
Thank you for the input. Yes, I'm a little space constrained. I will try to use the 2 flex panels as you mentioned.
I currently have a Victron Smart Shunt for a monitor, that's why I was considering a Victron controller.
What do you recommend for a good SCC, I have not bought one yet.
Thanks.

What do you recommend for a good SCC, I have not bought one yet.
I do like Victron, especially with bluetooth.

What are your panel specs? Voc and Imp in particular.

If you provide specs for flex panels we can size SCC (hopefully!) to handle those too.

I do like Victron, especially with bluetooth.

What are your panel specs? Voc and Imp in particular.

If you provide specs for flex panels we can size SCC (hopefully!) to handle those too.
My existing SunPower 100w flex panels are VOC=21.4 & IMP=5.9
The Renogy 100w panels I'm considering buying are VOC=24.3 & IMP=4.91
So, my thought was to use 4 new Renogy panels on the roof with a new Victron controller (2S2P).
Then use my existing flex panels as portables through the existing Zamp 30AS controller. (2P)
I'm just about ready to order the Renogy Panels, unless someone convinces me another brand would be better.

Thanks. :)

^^^ That sounds like a system that's on my cousin's bus. Those Renogy 100's are working fine for him for a while now. 2s2p would be a nice setup coming into that Victron.
I'd keep the flex panels setup for that Zamp as well, don't mix and match if you can help it.

^^^ That sounds like a system that's on my cousin's bus. Those Renogy 100's are working fine for him for a while now. 2s2p would be a nice setup coming into that Victron.
I'd keep the flex panels setup for that Zamp as well, don't mix and match if you can help it.
Thank you for the info. :)

My existing SunPower 100w flex panels are VOC=21.4 & IMP=5.9
The Renogy 100w panels I'm considering buying are VOC=24.3 & IMP=4.91
With 400W solar and assuming 12V battery:
400W / 14V charging = 28.5A A Victron 100/30 would work nicely.

If you were going to parallel your carryout panels, they would need to be 2S. You could put some MC4 Y connectors in nearly anywhere between your array and SCC.

This would require a bigger SCC if all 6 used at once.
The 3 strings would be surprisingly equal if all producing. Looks to be more than 90% compatible.

600W / 14V = 42.8A A Victron 100/50 would easily handle this.

The reality of mounting panels flat on a roof is you won't get 100% solar so maybe 100/30 plenty.

I like your plan.

Here is an idea…

When you are installing the four rigid panels on the roof - see if you can place them in a way to get two more of those 100w panels up there.

Six hundred watts going into a 100/30 will be over paneled, (the 100/30 can handle it), and it will help when conditions are not perfect. You would probably want a 3s2p to keep the amps down between the panels and the SCC.

If you decide to add the extra panels, the best time is when the same panels are still available. (that way no mix and match).

Good luck on you project!

Thank you all for the valuable input. I think I will move forward with this plan and start ordering parts.
1st up will be the 4 Renogy 100w rigid panels. I'll update as I move forward. Thanks again.

I'm going through a big increase and literally scrapping everything that has been done so far... it's painful

Can you go bigger, including raising the panels up on the IB side, essentially tipping the panels and potentially partially covering up some equipment on the roof. I was limited as I'm already at max height.

Watch for shadows, this was a huge issue for me.

Back