diy solar

diy solar

Buying LiFe Batteries from US and shipping to Canada.

petee_c

Anyone bought batteries from the US and had them shipped to Canada? Hoping to pickup some cells from Battery Hookup and getting them shipped by FedEx to me in Canada.

Did you run into any unexpected charges for duties or taxes? Been a while since I bought anything crossborder...

I tried several times to buy some LFP out of the USA and 3/4's of the vendors will not even try to ship to Canada, some suggest doing the old trick of sending to the border like one of those UPS Storage Receiver places at the border and doing a pickup & drive across yourself dealio.... Not Happening with Covid Lockdowns. CBSA still see "Lithium" and they go stoopid and into semi-panic which does not help anything. I did try to get batteries from Big Battery and a couple of others when the BYD ESS batteries came available but never could get any arranged to be shipped up here so I gave up on it. LUCKY I DID TOO ! After the great rush on those BYD Packs and cells, it did not take long for all the reports of problems & issues started, so effectively Dodged a Bullet there. Can't imagine trying to ship that stuff back to USA for warranty... good gosh no....

You'll have to try each vendor and hope for the best BUT don't get your hopes up too much.
I've ordered & received quite a few cells directly out of China and no issues at all. Shipped DDP which includes duties, taxes, fees etc to the door. At first blush it seems expensive but when you work it out it isn't. The shipping time sux, because by boat can take up to 60 days. I've had cells shipped by Air Freight as well and that can get deep into the wallet but they can get here really quick.

NOTE: Due to Covid, a lot of stuff slowed down and it can result in pauses if something (port/shipper etc) get's closed due to it.
There are Canadian Suppliers and the numbers "look high" but remember the currency exchange ! Its a fricken bugger !

BTW: If interested, Amy Wan of Luyuan is one the best vendors we all know here and use for our supplies.
Link if you are curious.

thx. battery hookup quoted me $30 for fedex for the cells I want, if I can get them when they come back in stock. Looking to build a 50Ah 4S trolling motor battery.

Maybe I will reach out to battery hookup again and see if they know if I can prepay duties or taxes....

I tried several times to buy some LFP out of the USA and 3/4's of the vendors will not even try to ship to Canada, some suggest doing the old trick of sending to the border like one of those UPS Storage Receiver places at the border and doing a pickup & drive across yourself dealio.... Not Happening with Covid Lockdowns. CBSA still see "Lithium" and they go stoopid and into semi-panic which does not help anything. I did try to get batteries from Big Battery and a couple of others when the BYD ESS batteries came available but never could get any arranged to be shipped up here so I gave up on it. LUCKY I DID TOO ! After the great rush on those BYD Packs and cells, it did not take long for all the reports of problems & issues started, so effectively Dodged a Bullet there. Can't imagine trying to ship that stuff back to USA for warranty... good gosh no....

You'll have to try each vendor and hope for the best BUT don't get your hopes up too much.
I've ordered & received quite a few cells directly out of China and no issues at all. Shipped DDP which includes duties, taxes, fees etc to the door. At first blush it seems expensive but when you work it out it isn't. The shipping time sux, because by boat can take up to 60 days. I've had cells shipped by Air Freight as well and that can get deep into the wallet but they can get here really quick.

NOTE: Due to Covid, a lot of stuff slowed down and it can result in pauses if something (port/shipper etc) get's closed due to it.
There are Canadian Suppliers and the numbers "look high" but remember the currency exchange ! Its a fricken bugger !

BTW: If interested, Amy Wan of Luyuan is one the best vendors we all know here and use for our supplies.
Link if you are curious.

Little dated but thought I would ask. Amy Wan (your link) still good for Canadians? What can I expect for shipping, duty and tax? Anyone with recent orders have any feedback?

Little dated but thought I would ask. Amy Wan (your link) still good for Canadians? What can I expect for shipping, duty and tax? Anyone with recent orders have any feedback?
You have to open a Chat / Messenger session to get a quote to your Postal Code. I just got a box of 105's last week from her.

@Steve_S Have you tried this tried and true method of importing into Canada? Worked pretty well with Canadian whisky into the US back in the day. jk :)

Screen Shot 2021-09-08 at 1.49.28 PM.png

Back