diy solar

diy solar

buying panels in bulk

BMS setup arrived today. I can't get over the fact that the parallel modules are shaped like cars lol. Came at 140 USD per set (BMS+parallel module+shipping).
Panels got pushed to 12th of April.

Attachments

• signal-2022-04-07-161257_001.jpeg
    signal-2022-04-07-161257_001.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 20
The panels have arrived today after 54 days since the day I've first messaged "DAH SOLAR Brain" on WhatsApp. Very well packaged and none were damaged. I will add some photos later. But I can wholehardheartedly recommend this seller.

I bought two sets of Chines cells from 2 suppliers and it was smooth sailing. I have tried hard like 5 times to buy China panels and it is almost like they don't want to sell them, or you can get them for the same price here in the states... I am in Michigan and keep going back to Alte on the east coast....I have bought 3 sets from them...Local Michigan suppliers were expensive also.
I like Alt-E too. Try CED Greentech. 20% less if you are within 3 hrs to pick up. ?

The panels have arrived today after 54 days since the day I've first messaged "DAH SOLAR Brain" on WhatsApp. Very well packaged and none were damaged. I will add some photos later. But I can wholehardheartedly recommend this seller.
Did you pay using Alibaba or out of Alibaba?

Both payments (the first 30% deposit and then the rest) went through normal bank transfer. Only like the first few messages were through Alibaba the rest was done on WhatsApp/E-Mail.

The EPever Tracer10420AN MPPT chargers have arrived so now I can also confirm that Ningbo Cinco Solar Co., Ltd. is a reputable company. They were very well packaged too. I've talked to "Mrs. Molly Peng" she speaks good English and was very helpful.
So it looks like I have everything I needed from China the rest is better to be bought locally. Now to simply mount in on the several roofs I have left and connect it all together and I'll be done with it. ?

I've also tried to get some solar cables quoted since the installation will be pretty far away from the chargers/batteries/inverter but honestly it's not worth it. 0 difference in price. Better to buy cable locally at least here in Europe.

And beware that since 1st of May 2022 it's supposedly harder to get panels directly from DAH. Maybe you will have to go through some local sales manager I don't know.

The EPever Tracer10420AN MPPT chargers have arrived so now I can also confirm that Ningbo Cinco Solar Co., Ltd. is a reputable company. They were very well packaged too. I've talked to "Mrs. Molly Peng" she speaks good English and was very helpful.
So it looks like I have everything I needed from China the rest is better to be bought locally. Now to simply mount in on the several roofs I have left and connect it all together and I'll be done with it. ?

I've also tried to get some solar cables quoted since the installation will be pretty far away from the chargers/batteries/inverter but honestly it's not worth it. 0 difference in price. Better to buy cable locally at least here in Europe.

And beware that since 1st of May 2022 it's supposedly harder to get panels directly from DAH. Maybe you will have to go through some local sales manager I don't know.
My MPP inverters and charge controllers just cleared customs and should be delivered Monday hopefully. Ordered all my conduit and switchboards to start putting it all together.

I tried to order cables online as well, I'm sure there a lot cheaper but no one wants to talk to you or the they won't tell you the minimum, to make an order. I also ended up looking locally, going to spend probably AU$10,000 on cables.
100m of 95mm is almost AU$3000.

I didn't have much problem ordering, shipping was my biggest hold up my friend could only organise CIF terms, so I had to get customs clearance and shipping to my house myself, there supposed to be manufacturing my panels in the next week or two, I got 93 Panels of 550W bifacial.

Both payments (the first 30% deposit and then the rest) went through normal bank transfer. Only like the first few messages were through Alibaba the rest was done on WhatsApp/E-Mail.
in conclusion
your order was about 2pallets , 62pcs x 550w, 72cells at 136usd/panel
shipping was 54day from initial 30% payment, the rest was payed when panels arrived at rotterdam
how much was the shipping and if there was some other fees

Europe has no import tax on solar panels at the moment. Depending on your use case you would have to pay VAT of course.

thank you for this quick reply.
with the vat everything is clear. in my case is 19%
can you give us the price you payed for shipping (per panel or for entire lot )?
thank you

And to clarify while I did buy it "from the EU warehouse" I was in fact buying panels that were still on a ship bound for Rotterdam. That's why the long delivery date. It took like 5 days from Rotterdam to me.
Also I have no idea how many/if any panels are in stock in their EU warehouse now. But I do know the minimal amounts of panels you have to order changed somewhat (supposedly this is different per each country).

Sorry to hijack your thread MaximusAnonus, but I'm in a similar situation and have been reading your thread with great interest. I was just wondering how you are getting on with the 550W DHM-72X10s? (Assuming you are now up and running) Would you order them again knowing what you know now?

I'm looking to buy around 27.5-30KW and this seems to be a very good deal. I did look at the secondary market, but as you eluded to I don't want to end up with a Frankenstein installation. Also in the UK people seem to have unrealistic expectations of what their 10 year old used solar panels are actually worth. Perhaps due to the amount they were charged to have them installed? Also as a noob every panel being identical will certainly make things a lot easier.

Hi, no they aren't up and running yet thanks to shortages of about everything but the panels look solid and testing them yields about as much as I was expecting (meaning they seem like actual 550W panels but then again ask me in 10 years if they are still holing up).
Honestly next time I would just order whatever would have the best price/watt ratio. Also they are pretty big so maybe if you are space constrained or have steep roof then something smaller might be better.

Yeah as always subsidies ruing everything.

Thanks MaximusAnonus. The fact they even arrived and resemble what was advertised is reassuring.

That's a good point though about the size and roof space. I'm fitting out a barn roof which i'm guessing is about 55sqm, but it's in a T-shape so I could potentially get caught out by the bigger panels not letting me maximise the space. I'll have to climb up and have a good measure to check.

Thanks again.

My bifacials are currently on a boat heading to Australia, cost about 150USD for 550W panels.

What equipment are you having trouble getting @MaximusAnonus ? I need to make a post in show and tell, Just reeceived all my breakeres the other day some how fedex got them to me without import or VAT/GST tax being charged. My last majoy orders are probably Battery cable and 6mm Solar cable and some copper flat bar to make a bus bar.

@danmc You will probably need to order by the pallet, the sales guy was asking me to order 2 or 3 pallets minimum(31 Panels per pallet).

Last edited:
My bifacials are currently on a boat heading to Australia, cost about 150USD for 550W panels.

What equipment are you having trouble getting @MaximusAnonus ? I need to make a post in show and tell, Just reeceived all my breakeres the other day some how fedex got them to me without import or VAT/GST tax being charged. My last majoy orders are probably Battery cable and 6mm Solar cable and some copper flat bar to make a bus bar.

@danmc You will probably need to order by the pallet, the sales guy was asking me to order 2 or 3 pallets minimum(31 Panels per pallet).

Cheers. Yeah I'm after 50-60 so hopefully should be ok. The hardest thing so far is finding a reputable Chinese supplier. Looks like a potential minefield.

Also unsure sure what taxes I'm going to get stung with being in the UK.

Thanks MaximusAnonus. The fact they even arrived and resemble what was advertised is reassuring.

That's a good point though about the size and roof space. I'm fitting out a barn roof which i'm guessing is about 55sqm, but it's in a T-shape so I could potentially get caught out by the bigger panels not letting me maximise the space. I'll have to climb up and have a good measure to check.

Thanks again.
well it's DAH so I wasn't really worried they are a BIG company
as I said in one of the previous post this all could have been done cheaply if I were to take some risks but I wasn't really min maxing the price per watt

Right now for example the aluminum extrusions that will hold the panels in place. I've had them on order with a company but they simply canceled it and went "well we can't get them so go away".

Also the MPPTs I haven't ordered enough and now they cost considerably more than they used to (EPEver). But the extrusions and the whole roof assembly is what's slowing me down the most.
Cheers. Yeah I'm after 50-60 so hopefully should be ok. The hardest thing so far is finding a reputable Chinese supplier. Looks like a potential minefield.

Also unsure sure what taxes I'm going to get stung with being in the UK.
My rule of thumb with chinese is if they don't speak perfect (weird is ok) English then don't really bother since there will be trouble. I'm not saying they will outright scam you but there will be some problems along the way.

I managed to source some new panels locally in the end. I've paid £0.32 per watt, which isn't too bad. Not as cheap as buying them direct from China, but it will save time, it's less risky and I suspect it will lead to far fewer grey hairs due to stress. If i hadn't seen these I'd have pulled the trigger on DAH panels.

Next step batteries.

Back