diy solar

diy solar

BYD 24v (4x) charging. 12kW 48v system

nibbnn

I have bought 4 of the common BYD 24v batteries to be used with a 12kW inverter.

I also bought the DALY 16S 48V 250A Lifepo4 Common Port BMS

When I bought the battery they gave me one free of these harness adapters as well. (the guy just had one sample none in stock, I didn't pay for it)

I have also plenty of 2/0 copper wire (probably overkill) and 2/0 lugs and a crimper for the battery connections.

From reading about this and youtube, people also say you need a shunt to connect to the bms, and a capacitor for when you actually connect the battery to your inverter. I really don't know what to get for these.

I have been reading a lot about the batteries and it seems like there is a way to use the existing wires going to each cell to do the balance charging. But also it seems like there is a lot of contention over this being safe or not.

Can someone please help point me in the right direction?

I actually have two systems that I am preparing.

So these are the two possible inverters that I will use for this BYD project.
I have both already :D

I have bought 4 of the common BYD 24v batteries to be used with a 12kW inverter.
Where did you buy the BYDs?

If it is the same model I have you can use the current wiring, but the solder traces on the little pcb boards that connect to each cell are pretty small. It would be better to run your own and just crimp them on with rivets (there are holes already in the bus bars).

I pulled the front cover off of mine and the heatsinks as well. It makes a much nicer package. I also cut off the posts on the front.

@iamrich would you share a picture of what you did with your batteries.​

i have the BYD batteries and have been contemplating what can i do to reduce the size/weight.

@iamrich would you share a picture of what you did with your batteries.​

i have the BYD batteries and have been contemplating what can i do to reduce the size/weight.

Yeah, I have been meaning to do a write up, but never got around to it. Where did you get your BYDs? Would love to pick up at least two more :)

Here you go:

1630945521264.png

I am still building my workshop, so my setup is temporary and I keep having to redo the wiring as I get closer to the final install. I am making progress, but it is slow and the setup powers everything I want including a small AC.

1630945840858.png

I need to figure out the orientation of the picture but sure looks clean and small.
The reason I haven't done that yet is I am planning to put it in a shed in backyard and have to estimate how hot it will get and how cold it will be in winter. I am in central New Jersey.
The shed will be my solar generator feeding my critical load subpanel.
I picked up the set of two from battery hookup in PA (early 2019)and the next four shipped from big battery(late 2019)
My system right now is LV5048 with 4 batteries. I still want to add the two I have sitting idle.
4 sunpower e19 320 watt panels (2s2p)

I just put together a small write up, so hopefully it is enough to get you going, but check out the videos link as well. It really was very simple and it comes out clean. I wouldn't worry about heat at all, but cold might be an issue.

Link to write up below:

Thanks for the encouraging writeup.
Worst case I am thinking of putting the seed warmer for each battery for winter if I think the summer heat will not be any issue.

Back