diy solar

diy solar

BYD 24V LiFePo4 Battery Modules

Wait, how do you know it's a 0.1" pitch connector? from the SOT-23 components nearby it looks like it but it also can be a 2.5 mm or 2.4 mm pitch connector.

I have no idea if that listing is the correct one for the BYD (don't have a BYD), I'm just saying it looks like you can use a header connector to make your own. Most header connectors that I'm aware of are 2.54mm, but I can't tell if that's what the BYD uses from a pic. If the male headers fit, you can just use a ribbon cable that has female header connectors on the ends to plug into the male connector rail (or try and find a cable with male ends already installed on one end)). Some kits include the male and female connectors, plus ribbon cable. A 10 wire ribbon is probably all that is needed.

Definitely not a 2.54mm pitch. Using calipers I come up with 1.91mm pitch. 22awg solid hookup wire fits snug in the connector.

Can someone please this is the correct wiring for balance leads? (please excuse the quick drawing) Thanks
BYD_Balance_Wire.jpg

Not quite, you attach the BMS balance neg to the main neg and then wires 2-9 go to each cell positive.

Your neg goes to cell 1- 3.2v, number 8+ wire goes to 8th cell volts total around 24v give or take.
Use a volt meter to make sure cell 1 3.2 v
Cell 2 6.4v cell 3 9.6v etc

I have no idea if that listing is the correct one for the BYD (don't have a BYD), I'm just saying it looks like you can use a header connector to make your own. Most header connectors that I'm aware of are 2.54mm, but I can't tell if that's what the BYD uses from a pic. If the male headers fit, you can just use a ribbon cable that has female header connectors on the ends to plug into the male connector rail (or try and find a cable with male ends already installed on one end)). Some kits include the male and female connectors, plus ribbon cable. A 10 wire ribbon is probably all that is needed.

Decided to go a different route and remove the BYD BMS entirely. Drew this up with help in another thread. OshPark may make a good (USA) vendor for this project. Headers can be scavenged from the BYD BMS.
1583401380264.jpeg1583401539258.jpeg

Your neg goes to cell 1- 3.2v, number 8+ wire goes to 8th cell volts total around 24v give or take.
Use a volt meter to make sure cell 1 3.2 v
Cell 2 6.4v cell 3 9.6v etc
Thanks maxx123. So to be clear, Cell 1 is at the opposite end of where the posts are located?

Thanks maxx123. So to be clear, Cell 1 is at the opposite end of where the posts are located?
Yes. Relative from neg it should read ~3.2v. Each successive balance lead should increment ~3.2v until you match battery post to post voltage.

Just getting back to these batteries. They've been sitting in my house at room temp since Nov 20 last year.
I took baseline readings at that time and did so again today. The average discharge per month for one was .4% and for the other .02%. They are both currently at 24.65 and 25.47 volts respectively, so bottom 10% SOC, which likely explains the low self-discharge. Will be bottom balancing first then recharging them using my All-in-one and house current. Still a few months away from receiving my bare-bones trailer at which point I will first mount the solar panels and set up the All-in-one MPPT for solar. Other than charged tool batteries I bring from home the batteries and inverter will be my sole source of power for my power tools while I build the trailer out. I'll be on an empty lot without connected power.

Anyone know if these battery would work with a morningstar 45a pwm? With this bms?

Are battleborn lifepo4 different from byd lifepo4?

This link shows how to connect my Scc with battleborns. Can i do the same this for the byd?

Anyone know if these battery would work with a morningstar 45a pwm? With this bms?

Are battleborn lifepo4 different from byd lifepo4?

This link shows how to connect my Scc with battleborns. Can i do the same this for the byd?

Will a BYD work? Yes.

The difference between a Battle Born and a BYD is like comparing a 1978 Chevrolet pick-up truck with 380,000 miles to a showroom 2020 F150 with 6 miles.

Yes they are both pickup trucks with 4 wheels and gas engines.

One is old and works OK, the other is brand new and shiney high tech and new.

Will a BYD work? Yes.

The difference between a Battle Born and a BYD is like comparing a 1978 Chevrolet pick-up truck with 380,000 miles to a showroom 2020 F150 with 6 miles.

Yes they are both pickup trucks with 4 wheels and gas engines.

One is old and works OK, the other is brand new and shiney high tech and new.

jasonhc73,

I own one of those BYD batteries as well. So far I love it, but you stated that perfectly. Made me chuckle...

i just bought 4 of them today for my off grid power storage. they told me i don't need the BMS..as long as i don't over charge them and over discharge them...anyway....i buy the BMS. i pay 350$ each plus 390shipping.

I thought it's listed for $590 each + free shipping.

He was refering to the Ebay listing which shows free shipping, though a higher purchase price.

@Will Prowse - In addition to the discussion above here's a quick question. I bought two of these BYD batteries and now am going to add the Daly BMS you recommend. Instead of buying two BMS can I instead connect each corresponding cell in parallel to between the batteries (i.e. 8 sets of cells in parallel, then connect each battery in parallel. That will keep each pair balanced and provide 24V and 400 amp capacity. Then I use one BMS to keep the 8 cell pairs balanced.
The only issue then is that I have a maximum current requirement of 400 amps, for which I can't find an equivalent BMS.
You mentioned using an external relay in such situations, but I'm unclear as to how that would work. Can you elaborate?

Oh, and by the way, do you have a Patreon account? You are saving me so much time and money I feel I need to repay you.
did you get your questions answered? The idea is that you will need a bms for each battery. Since you need 400amps, go with 130 on each battery. At 3, will put you close to your needs at 390 amps. Hope that helps. (ps, you can always go higher) But I would recommend a fourth battery if you are in a predament where you need more draw then 390 amps. IN fact, even with continuous use, I would suggest a bigger bank.

Back