diy solar

diy solar

BYD Battery stacking

Ron

I am curious if these battery packs could be stacked right on top of each other? If they would be damaged.

before the weight of the stack exceed the cell resistance, i think you will be able to stack a considerable amount of cell.
but as usual in these cases , you cannot count on the static resistance.
just pile pile up block of wood, static resistance will probably allow you to stand up on the the stack.
just give a little kick on the side of the stack and everything will fall .

I have a nice rack but the batteries will just fit if I put one on top of another.

if you can block the stack against the wall of the rack , this should be ok.
but the thermal dissipation of stacked cells is probably not the best design.
also for maintenance, you need to remove the cell at the bottom, good luck.

Just one on top of the other. I don't see any reason to take the unit apart for any maintenance.

Just one on top of the other. I don't see any reason to take the unit apart for any maintenance.
Two total batteries?

I think you will be absolutely fine with two stacked. Mine where shipped two stacked. But keep in mind, these are black boxes and BYD has yet to respond to anybody about what they are able to do or can support.

Lookup the teardown videos, there is literally nothing holding these together except a high tension straps keep the cells from expanding. The entire weight of each pack is pressing on the cells. There are no internal struts designed to hold stacks of these.

I wish I could have seen how they were originally mounted. I also noticed that if you look up BYD Batteries on YouTube there seems like more BYD videos than a while back. Yes, The strength of the unit is a concern when putting the one atop the other. I was trying to judge if being stacked on was too much.

Mine came stacked 3 high on the pallet and they had a really rough trip to the west coast and they were fine. Having said that though I wouldnt trust the plastic ends to hold any more than their own weight for years on end.

Mine came stacked 3 high on the pallet and they had a really rough trip to the west coast and they were fine. Having said that though I wouldnt trust the plastic ends to hold any more than their own weight for years on end.
I think the bottom with the heat sink meeting another would be fairly strong with the weight being spread out.

Back