diy solar

diy solar

Cable Gauge Question, EcoFlow <> Renogy

jwilde

Hi All -

I have two 175W Renogy panels and a EcoFlow Delta 1300.

EcoFlow gives you a MC4 to XT60 cable connector that goes into the power station - 14 AWG cable. I'd need an extension cable from roof panel into the van. Does the extension cable from panels to the adapter need to be 14 AWG or can I use 12 AWG cables that I already have?

Is it advantageous to buy a new MC4/XT60 adapter at 12 AWG? Will it help charging at all?

Choices:
1) Use my current setup. Panels > 12 AWG Cable Extension > 14 AWG adapter > EcoFlow Station
2) Buy 14 AWG MC4 Cables (all cables match)
3) Buy 12 AWG Cables AND a 12 AWG MC4/XT60 (new set-up but can EcoFlow handle it) Is it more powerful, etc or not needed.

Thank you!

I presume the panels are connected in Series which doubles the voltage.
Short answer is use the 12 AWG cable that you already have paid for as you have very low voltage drop even if you used all 14 cable.
12 is larger cable than 14.
Longer answer needs Vmp and Amps on panels and length of cable from panels to Delta 1300.

This is what I use to calculate voltage loss:

Try different lengths and gauges based off the volts and amps of your Abel.

For clarification - currently I have only 1 solar panel installed but would be like to get another one eventually if possible. Figured I can prepare cables, etc for the next panel upgrade. Once I get it, I figure I'd put both in a series.

One 175W Renogy Solar Panel (screenshot attached)
Vmp = 19.5V
Amps = 9.5
Length of cable from panels: 30 ft

Ecoflow Delta Capacity: 400W 10-65V DC 10A max

Does it make sense to use the 12AWG extension cable from the panel(s) into a 12AWG XT60/MC4 connector? Or can I stick with the 14 AWG that comes with the EcoFlow with no issuue?

Thanks for the advice - newb here!

How far is the run?

It makes a big difference, in some cases. I had thought my run from my solar panel was 10’ above my battery, so I planned on 10’ of cable, but with turns, I actually used 25’ of cable. I used 2 Renogy flexible 175 watt panels for that and 6 gauge cable and my loss come to over 3%. 10 gauge wire would have been much higher. That’s a big reason to do the calculations.

On another note, keep in mind, you are underpowered with a 10 a charge controller. At max panel. Output of 19.5 volts and 9.5 amps, a charge controller will increase that to about 12 amps. A 10 amp charge controller can only make 10 amps of output. You won’t get max output except around high noon, so you may be OK. You’d need to check the tech data of the SCC to be sure.

Because of the 10 amp power output limit of the charge controller, you’d definitely want either a different SCC for a second panel or go to 24 volts for your second panel, if the SCC allows 24 volts.

I just went with 8 gauge wire. Cost wasn't much greater and I know I have what I need if I upgrade down the road. Running wire can be one of the most labor intensive, pain in the keister aspects, so I didn't want to mess with trying to fish a wire through a tiny hole again.

It seems odd when people spend so much on batteries and charge controllers (to avoid loss and get the most bang) and then get cheap on wire. It is possible wiring costs are significant if your run is longer, but when in doubt and you have the capability size up.

For clarification - currently I have only 1 solar panel installed but would be like to get another one eventually if possible. Figured I can prepare cables, etc for the next panel upgrade. Once I get it, I figure I'd put both in a series.

One 175W Renogy Solar Panel (screenshot attached)
Vmp = 19.5V
Amps = 9.5
Length of cable from panels: 30 ft

Ecoflow Delta Capacity: 400W 10-65V DC 10A max

Does it make sense to use the 12AWG extension cable from the panel(s) into a 12AWG XT60/MC4 connector? Or can I stick with the 14 AWG that comes with the EcoFlow with no issuue?

Thanks for the advice - newb here!
Why do you need 30 feet of cable one way for panels on the roof of a van??
Maybe 15 feet.
Ok now you only have 1 panel so half the Vmp of 2 panels in series which makes a big difference.
2 panels in Series at 40Vmp will use smaller cable than 1 panel at 20Vmp
Your 12 or 14 AWG is too small for 1 panel.

Enter Vmp
Amps
One way distance
AWG
Get your own resullts.

Last edited:
If you have the cable try setting it up temporary and measure voltage drops. I did that with some #14 cab tire (it was free) for my 200w portable setup the results were far better than any table suggested, and surprised me.

this is wild - thanks everybody. definitely starting to click on how this all works.

Going with a lower AWG and cutting down on the distance from station to panel is the move. A bit limited on the gauge of the ready-to-purchase XT60/MC4 connectors but I can definitely make moves to drastically improve voltage loss, especially in preparation of another panel. Thanks for the help!!!

I just went with 8 gauge wire. Cost wasn't much greater and I know I have what I need if I upgrade down the road. Running wire can be one of the most labor intensive, pain in the keister aspects, so I didn't want to mess with trying to fish a wire through a tiny hole again.

It seems odd when people spend so much on batteries and charge controllers (to avoid loss and get the most bang) and then get cheap on wire. It is possible wiring costs are significant if your run is longer, but when in doubt and you have the capability size up.
We say the same thing about electric guitar! Everyone talks amps and guitar but always skimp on the cable which ends up being insanely important.

Back