diy solar

diy solar

Cable lug crimping tool for 8AWG - 1/0AWG

I just got these hex crimp dies for $16. 8AWG down to 4/0AWG. Perfect and cheap if you only need to do a few crimps. Use some tape to hold it together and either hammer or press in a bench vice.

Lichamp Hydraulic Crimper Replacement Dies, Hex Lug Dies for Steel Cable or Terminal Crimper Tool, 8 Sizes from 6 AWG to 4/0 AWG, 1208SL
https://a.co/d/9A1KbCo
Crimper or not, hex crimp dies are problematic size wise. TEMCo has a great discussion on this.

OP… I bought one of those hydraulic hex crimpers but it never worked right for me. As mentioned, it makes loose connections unless you use the next smaller die, then it leaves barbs on the lug.

This one is MUCH better, makes very very tight connections and leaves them nice and round.

TEMCo TH0020 Lug Crimper Tool for 10 AWG - 400 MCM wire lugs- DIELESS Indent Electrical Battery Terminal Cable Wire https://a.co/d/bGZcXYE

OP… I bought one of those hydraulic hex crimpers but it never worked right for me. As mentioned, it makes loose connections unless you use the next smaller die, then it leaves barbs on the lug.

This one is MUCH better, makes very very tight connections and leaves them nice and round.

TEMCo TH0020 Lug Crimper Tool for 10 AWG - 400 MCM wire lugs- DIELESS Indent Electrical Battery Terminal Cable Wire https://a.co/d/bGZcXYE
I have the TEMCo TH1818 DIELESS indent crimper. I have made many crimps and am very happy with it. I don't think you will go wrong with the TH0020, but it does take up more space and costs more.

I have the TEMCo TH1818 DIELESS indent crimper. I have made many crimps and am very happy with it. I don't think you will go wrong with the TH0020, but it does take up more space and costs more.
The thing is a beast, I love it. Used it on crimps from 8awg to 2/0 just last night. Over 30 crimps with zero issues. Stress tested the setup at max amp draw and not a single warm connection found on the thermal. ?

I've got a 20 year old "top" quality bench mount hex crimper and I NEVER get a crimp w/o those sharp barbs on some sizes of crimps and next size of dies is way too big. ARGhh.. But on some sizes of crimps it's perfect. Guess I should make some notes.

I've got a similar crimper from TEMCO. It does a great job but I'm not in love with the looks of the big divot on one side. Heat shrink does hide it pretty well though.

FWIW: I normally sacrifice a few lugs to the cable crimping gods on every new project while I'm trying to dial in the settings and the tool.

I've got a 20 year old "top" quality bench mount hex crimper and I NEVER get a crimp w/o those sharp barbs on some sizes of crimps and next size of dies is way too big. ARGhh.. But on some sizes of crimps it's perfect. Guess I should make some notes.

I've got a similar crimper from TEMCO. It does a great job but I'm not in love with the looks of the big divot on one side. Heat shrink does hide it pretty well though.

FWIW: I normally sacrifice a few lugs to the cable crimping gods on every new project while I'm trying to dial in the settings and the tool.
The big divot is just how an intent crimper works. There is plenty of information on how it is a satisfactory crimp. I have done 30+ crimps and have used every one in my system. No sacrifices. Yet. ;-)

The only crimp that was ugly was a 175A SB connector terminal sized for 2AWG and crimped on a 4AWG wire. There was some tearing near the solid part. Suggestion: get the right size terminals.

I have a very large compound lever crimper like the one picture in the very first post. Mine has a capacity up to 120mm square cable and down to 10mm square cable, and it works very well, provided the lug is correctly matched to the cable size.

The only disadvantage is that its large, heavy, and unwieldy to use. You really need three hands. One to hold the crimper, one to hold the heavy cable, and a third hand to steady the lug in the right position until it starts to squeeze closed. Its a lot easier with two people, but with a bit of cunning and some patience, its quite possible to do it by yourself.

The more modern hydraulic crimpers are smaller, cost less and should be easier to use. But Chinese quality being what it is, if it does ever go wrong it might end up being a bit of a curse.
You also need to get the correct dies for the tool to suit what you are crimping. What comes with your Chinese mystery crimper may be for metric sizes, American wire gauge sizes, or just unmarked Oriental large/medium/small which may not properly suit anything ????

That is how my HF crimper worked with terribly sized dies.
The work around was to do maybe 70% crimp then release and rotate 120 degrees for a 90-100% crimp.
Usually twice would do it but sometimes took three.

That is how my HF crimper worked with terribly sized dies.
The work around was to do maybe 70% crimp then release and rotate 120 degrees for a 90-100% crimp.
Usually twice would do it but sometimes took three.
I use the largest die the connector fits in, then hold a bolt in the top.
Crimps perfect every time.

Back