diy solar

diy solar

Cable lug crimping tool for 8AWG - 1/0AWG

take a minute out of your busy day and maybe look at the product instead of upping your post count.
I doubt the product description can tell me what type of wire at what gauge you were cutting so smoothly.
BTW I did look at the product description before I posted and I just checked again.

Oh look, I've incremented my post count again. ;)

Last edited:

I should have provided more context with my post. I'm typically cutting 2/0 or 6 gauge cable. A cutting die for the hydraulic crimper would allow me to easily cut 2/0 cable using the same tool that I use for crimping with a lot less effort than a set of pliers-like cutters can. I have a set of Klein cutters rated to 2/0 and they really struggle to cut 2/0, but work well with 6 gauge.

I should have provided more context with my post. I'm typically cutting 2/0 or 6 gauge cable. A cutting die for the hydraulic crimper would allow me to easily cut 2/0 cable using the same tool that I use for crimping with a lot less effort than a set of pliers-like cutters can. I have a set of Klein cutters rated to 2/0 and they really struggle to cut 2/0, but work well with 6 gauge.
This is 2/0 welding cable
Conductor Strand: 1248/30

This is 2/0 xhhw-2
Number of Strands: 19

A tool that will cut through welding cable like butter may dull or break on xhhw-2.

This is 2/0 welding cable
Conductor Strand: 1248/30

This is 2/0 xhhw-2
Number of Strands: 19

A tool that will cut through welding cable like butter may dull or break on xhhw-2.

All my DC cable is welding cable.

I like the TH1818. I have done dozens of crimps, with everyone coming out fine.

At $90, you get to decide if your $57 is so much cheaper. I would buy the TH1818 again.
I should have given some context. It's the total cost inc ship and tax to Thailand.

Very surprised to see the TH1818 hydraulic is cheaper than the TH0012 manual though. Saves me buying an electric impact driver for the little one.

Screenshot_20220730-093550_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220730-093522_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220730-093607_Amazon Shopping.jpg

One is faster to use, and likely more reliable… and priced accordingly.
I assume you are dissing the TH1818. While I haven't used the TH0012, from what I have studied and watched on YouTube, I doubt that it would provide the feel of the crimp being fully formed that I get with the TH1818. The indent mechanism looks identical.

As far as reliability, I assume you are worried about a hydraulic tool in general. I was/am concerned also, though TEMCo backs it with their great warranty. I/we have nothing to go on for their pricing structure.

Another plus for the TH1818 is that it is much more compact, and it breaks down even further for shipping and storage. Note the difference in shipping cost.

I got the blue one it goes from awg 10 to awg 1. Ive just recently used it on awg 2 lugs and Anderson connectors and it works really well. It may not be the same brand but its same thing.. you can change the settings.. pretty handy tool

I have a cheap hydraulic and have had to resort to mismatching the dies (one side from each of 2 adjacents sizes) to get a proper crimp.

I like this one much better.

Will recommended it in some of his battery builds, and I use it on my bigger projects.
So much faster than hydraulic.
this is basically the same thing I use, but mine was made during the Vietnam conflict and sold to the US navy as an aircraft cable crimper (stainless fittings and cables) so when I do copper with it or tinned copper fittings I get OF crimps. I got it many years ago and its still going strong. mine has a tang that hangs down to grab with a 14" vice so that it is immobile while using. you can also use it free hand but when in the vice your crimps are very precise.

Nobody answered my post about the 3 point crimper with an electric impact. So much cheaper than the Temco
great for one offs and non production, but from a time and cost standpoint the threads will wear out unless you religiously lubricate it with the proper weight grease for the amount of force it must convey to the crimp point. if you have less than a couple hundred crimps it is a cost positive too,IE does not pay for itself.

@BobCollins did you find the recommended pumps way off? I recently picked up the TH1818 and find I'm using 12-13 pumps vs the 'recommended' 8 for 1awg
I didn't find much use for the "recommended pumps." It seemed too arbitrary to me as there is a range on terminals and wire.

I found it quite easy to do the crimping by feel. As you get close, the pumping gets stiffer, so I slow down and there comes a point where it becomes quite stiff. That's where I stop.
I have crimped a couple of dozen 4 AWG copper ring terminals on 4 AWG welding wire and have been happy with all of them. They looked good and passed the pull test.

I did use the crimper on several 2 AWG SB175 connector contacts on the same 4 AWG welding wire. The tool "feel" was different and they didn't look as good. They did pass my pull test and have worked fine. I suspect they would have been prettier if I had the right gauge contacts.

Good luck!

I just got these hex crimp dies for $16. 8AWG down to 4/0AWG. Perfect and cheap if you only need to do a few crimps. Use some tape to hold it together and either hammer or press in a bench vice.

Lichamp Hydraulic Crimper Replacement Dies, Hex Lug Dies for Steel Cable or Terminal Crimper Tool, 8 Sizes from 6 AWG to 4/0 AWG, 1208SL
https://a.co/d/9A1KbCo

Back