diy solar

diy solar

Cable Sizes

Sorry trying to understand. if the cable is 200amps and the fuse 250 amps the cable would go before the fuse. that what I have been told. the fuse should be fault point not the cable.
0 awg cable is rated for 280 amps.

0 awg cable is rated for 280 amps.
ok the cable I have order

Part NumberTK0BS-SC-RED-2
TypeSingle Core
Amp Rating246A
Size0 B&S
ColourRed
Conductor No./Dia. (mm)609/0.32
Nom. Area (mm²)48.98
Electrical Resitance @20°C (ohm/km)0.4

Nom. Area (mm²)48.98

50mm2 is very close to 0 awg which is rated for 285 amps fault current.
285 * .8 fuse headroom = 228 amps service current.

Brown and Sharpe is an old name for AWG numbers. OP's cable is AWG 1/0, rated for 246 amperes. That doesn't take into consideration any voltage drop. Voltage drop should be calculated first. VD is used to select cable AWG. AWG is used to select fuse ampere.
Fuses protect wires. Fuses ALWAYS go before cables and wires. I would fuse this cable at 200 ampere to protect the cable.
For a 2000W inverter, 5 feet from battery, I use 2/0 AWG marine grade cable. I fuse 2/0 at 250 or 300 ampere to protect the cable and reduce voltage drop. Typical is 300 amp fuse at battery to BusBar and 250 amp fuse at BusBar to inverter.

Brown and Sharpe is an old name for AWG numbers. OP's cable is AWG 1/0, rated for 246 amperes. That doesn't take into consideration any voltage drop. Voltage drop should be calculated first. VD is used to select cable AWG. AWG is used to select fuse ampere.
Fuses protect wires. Fuses ALWAYS go before cables and wires. I would fuse this cable at 200 ampere to protect the cable.
For a 2000W inverter, 5 feet from battery, I use 2/0 AWG marine grade cable. I fuse 2/0 at 250 or 300 ampere to protect the cable and reduce voltage drop. Typical is 300 amp fuse at battery to BusBar and 250 amp fuse at BusBar to inverter.

here is my current setup. the current cable is very short around 4 feet/1.2 meter give or take. 1000 watt inverter is getting replace a 2000 watt one. I may need to upgrade the 175 amp Anderson plugs to the 350 amp ones. I believe the 175amp ones can go to 280 amps.

Attachments

• IMG_2383.jpg
    IMG_2383.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2384.jpg
    IMG_2384.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 4
Ok so "2 B&S" = "2 awg Brown & Sharp"?
If its pure copper 2 awg wire the ampacity is determined by the diameter of the conductor and the thermal properties of the insulation.
Typical ratings for insulation are 90C and 105C.
The different reference standards have slightly different ampacity ratings but they are usually pretty close.
This NEC reference https://www.uglys.net/docs/default-...a/UglysResidentialWiring2017_Errata_Page2.pdf
shows 2 awg, 90C rated wire as good for 190 amps.
Awg 2 carrying 190 amps is from the free air chart. In free air has to be where conductors are installed so that heat can disapate. Can’t touch insulation or building materials. Connectors also need to be rated for that temperature rating. Also the disapated heat can’t raise the surrounding temperature. Minimum spacing between conductors is 1 diameter of conductors being used.
Otherwise use in cable earth or raceway.

Back