diy solar

diy solar

CALB 180AH not reaching capacity

Choco

So my cells finally arrived on the slow boat from EAMIRE Shenzhen Yidong Technology Co., Ltd.

I took a sample of cells for testing and none are reaching 180AH.
Charged to 3.65V, cutoff at .20A
Discharged @20A or 30A to 2.50V
Test results are 170, 171, 173 & 174AH.
Tested with a DL24P and a EBC-A20

Resistance were all 0.39 to 0.45mΩ
Cell terminals certainly don't look fresh and new.
Other than that the transaction went faster than expected and avoided any customs duties.

Has anyone had success with a refund on Alibaba, not sure whether it is worth the bother given the cells have just fallen short on capacity?

Last edited:
How long did it take you to get them? What did they charge for shipping? Thanks.

Were the cells under compression? It might be interesting to do this test again with the same equipment and parameters if they weren't.

I notice that the EBC-20 is using xlr connectors, and alligator clips. Are you sure you trust that?

The DL24P kit also shows tiny wires and alligator clips. How well are you making these connections? Another user here had a similar problem when using dinky wires.

Last edited:
How much did you pay? If you’ve read around on this forum an awful lot of what’s going on is people dealing with discounted grade B cells with varying issues.

You are looking at a 3-5% drop from rated capacity. Temperature during the test is possible. One question I would have is if these are used cells how many cycles does such a drop indicate.

Most likely your best choice would be to file for a partial refund, more than 3-5%, after you’ve double checked everything.
I’m still waiting on my higher priced Luyuang cells. I’m hopefull I’ll be able to use a cheaper bms to offset that quality cost.

Were the cells under compression? It might be interesting to do this test again with the same equipment and parameters if they weren't.

I notice that the EBC-20 is using xlr connectors, and alligator clips. Are you sure you trust that?

The DL24P kit also shows tiny wires and alligator clips. How well are you making these connections? Another user here had a similar problem when using dinky wires.

No compression, I'm not sure it would do much given the form factor?
Before any testing I rewired both to ring terminals and up-gauged/shortened the cables on the DL24P, yep I was also concerned with the original setup.calb.JPG

How much did you pay? If you’ve read around on this forum an awful lot of what’s going on is people dealing with discounted grade B cells with varying issues.

You are looking at a 3-5% drop from rated capacity. Temperature during the test is possible. One question I would have is if these are used cells how many cycles does such a drop indicate.

Most likely your best choice would be to file for a partial refund, more than 3-5%, after you’ve double checked everything.
I’m still waiting on my higher priced Luyuang cells. I’m hopefull I’ll be able to use a cheaper bms to offset that quality cost.
USD 1,044.40 all in (i'm in AU)

Ah, the older blue SE series. I'd say you are good. Hopefully they are not very old stock since most CALB users were EV'ers and quickly moved to the gray-cased series for an even flatter charge curve.

However, for fractional-C use, you will be just fine. You'll see plenty of used blue Calb's out there, since they were less expensive than the gray cased lineup.

I'd call it good, since they may dispute the accuracy of your metering and methods if you want to take it that far - especially for the SE line.

Where did you find the software download for ebc-20?

Where did you find the software download for ebc-20?
Andy of Off Grid Garage has the Dropbox for the software and driver.

Thankyou

SE180? it is a very old model and is not available for many years, CALB's new products are all aluminum cases.

Had no idea, thankfully I just tipped my toes in with this order, the price was reasonable and the batteries are still fit for the application.

So my cells finally arrived on the slow boat from EAMIRE Shenzhen Yidong Technology Co., Ltd.

I took a sample of cells for testing and none are reaching 180AH.
Charged to 3.65V, cutoff at .20A
Discharged @20A or 30A to 2.50V
Test results are 170, 171, 173 & 174AH.
Tested with a DL24P and a EBC-A20

Resistance were all 0.39 to 0.45mΩ
Cell terminals certainly don't look fresh and new.
Other than that the transaction went faster than expected and avoided any customs duties.

Has anyone had success with a refund on Alibaba, not sure whether it is worth the bother given the cells have just fallen short on capacity?
I had issues with Shenzhen Yidong Technology Co., Ltd.! I orderd from Mrs. Wendy fan...quite unprofessional replys and so on...just always claims, that the cells are brand new and there is no problem with the goods. She does not understand the graps of the ZKE-Tech charge and discharge curves. After two weeks of negotiation and no refund was offerd, I escallated the case to trade assurance...but those people also have no Idea or thechical backround and ask for a 3d party inspection, that you have to pay...well. I'd always try it to get justice...but the outcome is not certain.

You can check out my post there:

Back