diy solar

diy solar

CALB 200 Amp smoke

So is your opinion that pipe can not be used with success? Because if that is the case YOU would be wrong.
No. Copper pipe can be used with success as a bus bar, but only when you use aluminum foil, left over from last nights lasagna as cable. Granted you have to roll it real tight and scrape all the burnt cheese off. Lot of effort, but when connecting $10k worth of batteries and inverters, well worth it.
Did some quick math here. Foil from a family of 4 lasagna should be good for at least 200 amps.

Granted you have to roll it real tight and scrape all the burnt cheese off. Lot of effort, but when connecting $10k worth of batteries and inverters, well worth it.
Did some quick math here. Foil from a family of 4 lasagna should be good for at least 200 amps.
I think for DC application a loose wrap would be preferable and increase surface conducting area, plus improved cooling should increase ampacity.

No. Copper pipe can be used with success as a bus bar, but only when you use aluminum foil, left over from last nights lasagna as cable. Granted you have to roll it real tight and scrape all the burnt cheese off. Lot of effort, but when connecting $10k worth of batteries and inverters, well worth it.
Thank you for your response. I think it is important for people to see who you really are.

Is this accurate?
200Ah cells
120A event
80A rated Daly BMS

Are you certain the smoke wasn't from the Daly?

Onlinemetals.com has it as well. Lot cheaper last time I bought.
They are super expensive. I have an industrial metals place where I live. I bought 1/8" x 3/4" x 12' for $32 a couple months ago. On that site, $79.92 plus shipping.

They are super expensive. I have an industrial metals place where I live. I bought 1/8" x 3/4" x 12' for $32 a couple months ago. On that site, $79.92 plus shipping.
Agreed, but cheaper than McMaster.

I almost went down this road.
But then it occurred to me... $2600 worth of batteries, $1000 for various tools and parts, $1800 for inverters, et al.
Why am I trying to save $30 or 40 on proper, FLAT busbars.
Even experimented with several flavors of pipe. Hammered, used a vise. I was unable to get a flat enough surface on the copper.
Oh, they look great, flat until I put a stainless flat edge across them and inspected with a magnifier glass
No bueno. Especially with high current.

I suggest you get some proper bus bars between the cells.
Well I used a 50 Ton press and 1" plates to flatten the pipe. Then a mill was used to slot them. I agree a hammer will not work.

Back