diy solar

diy solar

Calb cells

I've been using second hand CALB blue 200ah. Not swollen but in a 48v 16s configuration I'm only getting 6kWhr of usable storage. I won't be buying any again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220218_081721.jpg
    IMG_20220218_081721.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 19
Rather spend your hard earned cash on good A grade Eve cells or the ones from Amy who has supplied many people on this forum.

Wow, thanks all I was about to make payments on 32pcs of very cheap calb cells from Rowen in Alibaba. They claim I can get between 190AH - 204AH from the cells.

Wow, thanks all I was about to make payments on 32pcs of very cheap calb cells from Rowen in Alibaba. They claim I can get between 190AH - 204AH from the cells.
it boils down to the seller. I bought 48 pcs of CALB's that were used/NOS from a seller and have since pulled very close to the full value from them during bad production days this winter... so it depends upon the seller. I was lucky in that a friend bought from him first and then later let me know his results. i then ordered 32 from the seller and ran them myself. the price was low enough that if I toasted them they would make a good learner/training set of cells. Later I bought an additional 24 cells so that I could bring my pack up to 32kw and build a second bank in 12 volts for my camper.

OP : CALB ( China Aviation Lithium Battery ) cells are supposed to be of very good quality. Can you get any type of warranty or maybe a test certificate ? In the end it is the cost / Wh that will be the deciding factor.
I use a couple of 100Ah second life BYD cells ( ex EV ) , which I bought on price , with great success and these perform better than some of the supposed A grade cells I sourced from China. Just do your overall assessment properly and then decide.
Rather buy locally if you can - shipping cells back to China is a giant PITA.

Last edited:
it boils down to the seller. I bought 48 pcs of CALB's that were used/NOS from a seller and have since pulled very close to the full value from them during bad production days this winter... so it depends upon the seller. I was lucky in that a friend bought from him first and then later let me know his results. i then ordered 32 from the seller and ran them myself. the price was low enough that if I toasted them they would make a good learner/training set of cells. Later I bought an additional 24 cells so that I could bring my pack up to 32kw and build a second bank in 12 volts for my camper.
Can you link me to where you got yours

OP : CALB ( China Aviation Lithium Battery ) cells are supposed to be of very good quality. Can you get any type of warranty or maybe a test certificate ? In the end it is the cost / Wh that will be the deciding factor.
I use a couple of 100Ah second life BYD cells ( ex EV ) , which I bought on price , with great success and these perform better than some of the supposed A grade cells I sourced from China. Just do your overall assessment properly and then decide.
Rather buy locally if you can - shipping cells back to China is a giant PITA.
Alibaba is my source and I know there are lots of garbage being sold there

Thanks all but I have this one more question to ask if I can get used calb cells like 200ah with maybe a remaining capacity of 140ah, 32cells and build a 16s1p battery of 280ah. That's paralleling two cells of 140ah as one 280 ah. Now my question is can this old cell of 280ah performs as good as the normal 280ah single cells like lishen and eve

Thanks all but I have this one more question to ask if I can get used calb cells like 200ah with maybe a remaining capacity of 140ah, 32cells and build a 16s1p battery of 280ah. That's paralleling two cells of 140ah as one 280 ah. Now my question is can this old cell of 280ah performs as good as the normal 280ah single cells like lishen and eve
if your need is 280ah, be smart, keep saving and buy new cells.
used will only dissapoint you

I've been using second hand CALB blue 200ah. Not swollen but in a 48v 16s configuration I'm only getting 6kWhr of usable storage. I won't be buying any again.
those look like the same as I bought, mine have been running since last fall and I have been getting right at 30-31 kw out of a 16s3p. That's not 100% full capacity but I don't run to the ragged edge either.

3.4-3.1 volts is the range I keep them in and the capacity was measured by both a shunt type (magnum BMK) and a hall cell type measuring gadget I bought online. both came up to pretty much the same measurement once you convert the units. I have drawn full power from them 5 or 6 times this winter when panels were covered for multiple days with snow and I had to use the genset to charge them up. that powers the whole bungalow/cottage.

who did you buy yours from?

How did this pan out?.
Considering making a purchase from them soon

what was the reason for that advise ( besides the seller wanting to sell better available 230ah cells ? )
The advice was to go for a new or grade A cells because I could be disappointed with the used cells and I may not get a refund if the cells don't meet up to expectations.

Back