diy solar

diy solar

Calculateions

River Styx VanLife

How many 5kw batteries do I need if I am going to run approximately 500w continuous from a growatt 3000 48v all in one? I have 1660 watts of solar on the roof. 4 panels of 415w ? Not sure how to size this being my first step into the solar world. Thanks in advance. I am thinking there will be times of more and times of less but using that overall average. I have a 5.4 cubic freezer and a 9000 btu mini split witch is 9500 btu when on heat mode. Plus a few low led lights and a air fryer which when I use I will turn off the ac for that brief period or my water pot for coffee.

I have also purchased 2-5kw g4 batteries

500W at 24h/day is 12kWh/day. Account for conversion losses and inverter inefficiencies and figure about 14kWh/day. Assuming LiFePO4 batteries and using 80% each day that's 17.6kWh of battery. So you would need 4 5kWh batteries assuming you had a way to fully recharge all of the batteries each day.

Replacing 14kWh with solar each day, assuming 5 hours of great sun each day, would mean at least 2800W of solar.

Ok so I need to try real hard to use the max air fan instead of the air conditioner lol I will get at least one more battery (5k) g4 until I can afford the 4th. My only concern is the dogs while I’m out metal detecting or panning. Etc. I appreciate the conversion. It helps a lot.

You could add more solar with a separate, stand-alone solar charge controller. It can be added in addition to your planned all-in-one.

Back