diy solar

diy solar

calibrate an Infrared Thermometer

I have never even thought about calibration on mine. I am not really trying to determine the actual temperature, I am looking for looking for spots that are hotter than others.

I looked over the process @svetz linked to and it seems pretty reasonable. (An Ice cube can be much colder than 32F. You need to have water that is right at the freezing point and that is what the ice bath in the procedure creates)

Just don't try to calibrate the high end with boiling water. When you point at the boiling water, it will be seeing the steam which is much hotter than 100*C.

Just don't try to calibrate the high end with boiling water. When you point at the boiling water, it will be seeing the steam which is much hotter than 100*C.
That sounds odd... pure water boils at 100°C at 1 atm and the steam forms from the water changing phase (which takes energy). So, why would the steam be hotter? Where did the energy come from to superheat the steam?

You can't really even see steam anyway (notice it's transparent while in the water)... what you see is "condensing steam", so you're seeing tiny water droplets as vapor... it should be 100°C where it turns visible and then get cooler as it moves away.

I suspect when people say hotter, they just mean steam has more energy at 100°C than water does at 100°C; but they should be the same temperature AFAIK. If someone with a calibrated IR gun does this and they really are different please let me know.

Last edited:
If the pot is open to the atmosphere & the ambient pressure is 1 atm, then the steam will also be at 100C. Steam will be much hotter than 100 C only when the vapor pressure is higher than 1 atm.

The main source of inaccuracy of non-contact IR probes is not setting the emissivity for the surface being measured. Most probes don't have the ability to set emissivity. There are non-contact temp probes that do have this feature, bit they cost a lot more. It ultimately comes down to what you're trying to accomplish and why you need very accurate temperature measurements.

Nice tip to measure reflective surfaces (metals, glass, ...): put some tape on it and measure the temp here ;)

Usually IR thermometers have a fixed emissivity set to a high value like 0.95 (they assume you'll only measure non-reflective surfaces)

The main source of inaccuracy of non-contact IR probes is not setting the emissivity for the surface being measured. Most probes don't have the ability to set emissivity. There are non-contact temp probes that do have this feature, bit they cost a lot more. It ultimately comes down to what you're trying to accomplish and why you need very accurate temperature measurements.
Yup. Like I said earlier, I am just trying to see spots on the circuit that are hotter than others.....not trying to actually measure the temperature. The cheap ones do this for me. If the probe shows one spot with a 10 or 15 deg increase relative to other parts of the circuit, I know I have a high resistance spot in the circuit. That will be true regardless if the probe is exactly accurate or several degrees off.

I have found 'bad' connections just by touching them and feeling that they are warm/hot (and I have never tried to calibrate my fingers ?)

The other way to find bad connections is with a volt meter. While running high current through the circuit, measure the Voltage across the various connections. Most connections should show very low voltage (milivolts). If one is reading way higher than the others, it is probably a poor connection. (The problem with this is that it is sometimes hard to get to points on either side of a connection to do the voltage measurement)

Ok, just tried it. I stand corrected. Something from high school physics made me think the steam was hotter.

Nebermind.

Nice tip to measure reflective surfaces (metals, glass, ...): put some tape on it and measure the temp here ;)
or use a black sharpie to paint a square patch on the surface. use alcohol to wipe it off. all this assuming that the surface is not too hot & is accessible.

Just remember one thing using the hand deterministic method .....

...........never use your wiping hand to do this else you risk becoming one stinky fellow and your laundry efforts will have to dramatically increase!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's much more cooler though to use an infrared camera. Most professional electricians now routinely carry one of these tools with them.

I've been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Helect-Non-Contact-Temperature/dp/B071NBJJ2Q
The reviews say that its have a calibration function.
Can I just point the thermometer at an ice cube, compute the offset from 0 Celsius and then manually add the offset to future measurements for accuracy?
@FilterGuy

Good god !! These were 12.00 a year ago .. i have a box full for checking transformer and alternator temps ... Try looking on Ebay or Aliexpress also ... Now we just use an infrared attachment to our phones ... that way we can take pictures also of the heat source

Good god !! These were 12.00 a year ago .. i have a box full for checking transformer and alternator temps ... Try looking on Ebay or Aliexpress also ... Now we just use an infrared attachment to our phones ... that way we can take pictures also of the heat source

Can you recommend a phone attachment?

Can you recommend a phone attachment?

The things they gave us is some "white" box thing that I think they had cheaply made in China ... but there is nothing on them at all that indicates who - where they are made ... one day a box of them showed up (android only) and when we asked where these are from they simply woke back "Thank YOU" .. Thats sort of our international code from HQ to us that "we don't need to know" ... LOL

I will bet though that if I looked on Alibaba that I could find them ... they do NOT look expensive ...

I go looking for a thermal imaging camera every once in a while, but I am never able to find one at a price I am willing to pay. (I don't really need it..... but like @Xerxes said, they are really cool). I just did a quick search and this is the best I found.
https://www.buikbira.com/one-lt-camera-android-thermal-pro-for-usb-c-flir-imaging

I would consider this, but at that price I have doubts it is actually a Flir. They sell for 3x that everywhere else. (If someone decides to take a chance on this, please post a review)

If you want a recommendation and want to overpay for plug and play out of the box then the ones from FLIR.
They do work as advertised
About $300-$350 (just checked-now down to $199 on their GEN 3 CLICK LINK!) for the IOS/ANDROID attachment with software, and it comes with support and huge user-base with forum and knowledge base ..... and you know it will work as advertised and will have service through warranty period! FLIR was suing every importer/seller of he camera attachment but its like an invasion of ants-you just can't win- Plus I am not certain that their patents are within enforcement term. I occasionally use the GEN 2 at work so I can state these things.

This device has an extremely narrow temperature/IR sensor (~250F max) with extremely poor scan resolution but for electrical applications where you are looking for resistive/dirty connections, failing components, anomalies within ambient/near ambient conditions it is perfect. It lets you down at a distance (hundreds of feet) if you are trying to find a small dirty connection due to low resolution-the real dedicated IR cameras with high resolutions and quality lenses and zoom features are the ones to get. The cheap devices may advertise high resolution of the captured image but the detectors resolution is probably much less. This device is extremely useful for home applications (finding wet areas, poor insulated areas, etc) but not much use for automotive applications due to the narrow temperature range.

They also sell the $50K+ specialty cameras for industrial use designed for specific use (gas leak detection, Furnace tube temperature monitoring, electrical contact resistance finding). These have a refrigeration circuit (tiny compressor and evaporator) to cool the IR sensors to increase sensitivity over background noise-temperature.

They also sell mid-range cameras for $500-$5000 without coolers for general commercial popular with electricians and HVAC community.

The company was the original US owned/operated one that developed this technology for the USA DOD use on aircraft and nightsights/thermal sights that came of age and recognition during the first gulf war.

Now since copied really cheaply from many chinese manufactures who do not pay any royalty or manufacture licensing fees after the technology was stolen when FLIR moved most of their manufacture overseas. Since then Chinese engineers have surpassed the US FLIR engineers -at first just for engineering cheaper manufacturer solutions, and now designing far superior units from scratch as well. I pray we in USA will never be in their sights!

The company that graciously employs me .... and continue to do so through this period of government mandated unemployment (I am thankful for sure!).....-is a major integrated oil company ... -and only buys the US FLIR cameras (we have the Android GEN 2, gas detector, furnace tube temperature scanner, electrical camera) even though FLIR's are now designed and manufactured overseas (exception is the DOD stuff). Due to PSM requirements (da government regulations for training, certification, maintenance, safe operation of the oil industry) my company is terrified of buying cheaper chinese branded products because of the Legions of US lawyers (and now foreign law firms as well) and additional liabilities they would assume buying and using such in their maintenance programs. This is probably the reason that ghostwriter's managers responded as they did.....to not question their purchase wisdom. If you have the money and can afford it .....I recommend the FLIR product for true plug and play ability with its huge support base.

For at home occasional use/hobbyist though the Chinese knockoffs are very appealing since I have seen for as little as $75 (then add the other stuff)...... ANYONE? ........out there that actually has a knockoff that they can recommend for allot less than the FLIR model and that has good software that easily works? From reviews I read several years ago looking for my personal one (instead of unauthorized borrowing of a work camera which I officially would never do!)... it was the mastering of the included app and bugginess of the app that was leaving buyers disappointed. I have not done any checking of these in the last few years.

Another option is the hunting IR cameras-a fully integrated solution-no PHONE required. These have the same small temp range but for electrical stuff can be used-again looking for changes from ambient/near ambient temperatures.... and the chinese knockoffs can now be had for less than $100, respected brand names more like $300.

Many of the chilled IR sensors use stacked peltiers for cooling...not as efficient as phase change, but the heat load is very low, so it's not that power hungry.

I've been looking at https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Thermometer-Helect-Non-Contact-Temperature/dp/B071NBJJ2Q
The reviews say that its have a calibration function.
Can I just point the thermometer at an ice cube, compute the offset from 0 Celsius and then manually add the offset to future measurements for accuracy?
@FilterGuy
Thread necromania but here we go:

No, you can't calculate the offset from ice cube (unless you are actually measuring something around 0 celcius)
IR meters are unpredictable, especially so when you move from below ambient to above ambient temps.
You would need to perform multi-point calibration or at least 1 point somewhere close to your actual temps.

And all of this is probably good for nothing as the cheapo IR thermometer has so large and badly defined measuring area and your surface emissivity can vary from 0.1 to 1.0 unless you paint everything (black or white, doesn't really matter at IR wavelenghts)

Back