diy solar

diy solar

calibrate an Infrared Thermometer

If you want your cheap IR temp gun checked, I would see if there is a calibration lab close to you that is NAVLAB or A2LA approved for IR temperature calibration as a discipline. They would probably charge less than a hundred bucks to do a check on your gun. (if you don't want a calibration cert with the service, more if you want one) The larger problem is that you must determine the spot size at the distance you are using the gun and what emissivity the gun is set to. (cheap ones typically 0.95) The calibration lab can check your gun with a calibrated black body and tell you how close it is. Your relative measurement should yield useable data if you measure the same material at the same distance at varying temperatures. (even if you cannot change the emissivity of your device to the proper setting for the material being measured) Do not expect highly accurate measurements with a cheap gun (+/- 20 F over 70 to 400F) Relative temperature change is what you really want to know anyway.
And yes, I am a Metrologist with over 32 years of experience. My cheap 20 dollar IR temp gun works pretty well within the previously described conditions.

Kid

I've used this one (IR0006, retail $600), which I borrowed from a colleague.
I used it to image PV panels, both with electric power applied in a dark room, and in an operating array.
I'll post results one of these days. In this case the objective was to distinguish defective from good, requires contrast and auto scale adjustment.
For bad electrical connections, just need to see gross differences in temperature.

They also have a $120 model that clips onto iPhone, another for Android.
At 1/16th as many pixels, might be useful but not great.

Back