diy solar

diy solar

Camper Van Electrodacus, Victron, Calb hybrid: Feedback requested.

tolachi

Hi,

Based on some information I have found here I've modified my planned electrical setup. Primarily it seems I can't have anything between the battery positive and a shunt or the SBMS0 will go up in smoke. I've placed the battery fuse on the negative terminal but kept a switch after the charging sources but before loads. I would appreciate any feedback on design and am happy to clarify any details. My apologies that I don't have slick schema productions skills.

SBMS0
Calb 180Ah x4
Victron Orion 12/12/30
Victron MPPT 100/20
Cotek SP 200 inverter
Victron Battery protect 65
100 watt renogy x3 in series

Thanks!

Pete

Attachments

• 20200815_150335.jpg
    20200815_150335.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 32
High quality thought through system from the sound of it. I'm planning something similar, haven't decided whether to go with CALB or one of the much cheaper blue aluminum cell brands.

Would you be able to upload that picture to imgur.com or somewhere and than share the fullsize image here. I'm having a little trouble reading some of the details at the current resolution.

Looks like you are using 3 current shunts (1) Main battery shunt (2) MPPT shunt (3) DC-DC charge shunt. Is this the case?
Will this work with the SBMS0? If so, very cool!

You have two overcurrent protection devices between the starting battery and the dc-dc charger, what is your thinking there?

Looks like you are using 3 current shunts (1) Main battery shunt (2) MPPT shunt (3) DC-DC charge shunt. Is this the case?
Will this work with the SBMS0? If so, very cool!

You have two overcurrent protection devices between the starting battery and the dc-dc charger, what is your thinking there?
I thought there was support for a 2nd PV shunt, but I'm honestly not 100% sure. The 60 amp anl fuse is built into the van. I added the cicuit breaker so that i can manually disconnect the charger as part of mothballing the system as needed.

BTW, i like the CALB batteries but don't have much to compare them to...

Reactions: Dzl
I thought there was support for a 2nd PV shunt

I really hope so, but I haven't heard this before.

If you are basing this assumption on the fact that the manual and monitoring screen of the SBMS0 shows "PV1" and "PV2", I asked about this a while back and here is what I heard from Dacian (electrodacus):

ME said:
The BMS monitoring screen shows PV1 and PV2, what is the data source for this, the dual shunt setup wouldn't have the granularity to monitor these sources separately would it?
DACIAN said:
Other SBMS models like SBMS120 had dual PV input but the SBMS40 and SBMS0 only have one. Since the same software is used the PV2 remained there but is not used for SBMS0.

@Dzl Thanks! I am guessing you have the correct info here. I just canceled my Riedon order. I cant see a reason not to put the solar and alternator on a single shunt. I honestly don't care about the "data", i just want a system that works. Aggregate charging data would be fine.

I received a reply from Dacien, super quick feedback! Which is below:

You already have fuses on the positive side after the current shunt's as required so why will you also want to have fuses on the negative side ?
Why do you have two charge shunts ? you only need one say a 100A shunt should handle both PV and alternator charging.
If you want for some reason a fuse on the negative (not needed) then you will need two separate one's one for charge sources and one for Loads else if this only one fuse breaks you charge sources and Loads will remain connected together but without a battery and something may get damaged.
Best is to have the two shunts battery and PV shunt next to the battery in an electrical box and together with the corresponding fuses nothing else in that box.

The following changes were made:

Moved the 50A circuit breaker to the house of the battery charger and eliminated the anl fuse on the house side. Seems it prefers to be attached to just the vehicle battery if i want to manually disconnect it.

Put the solar and battery charger on 1 85A shunt.

Eliminated the fuse on the negative terminal.

Link to updated diagram: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bh1wAue1uTg37vbw9

Attachments

• 20200816_121859.jpg
    20200816_121859.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 17
Back