diy solar

diy solar

Can 13.8v on panels overload 12v inverter?

solarstuff

My Giandel 2200W buzzed, read OL (overload) and shut off.
I disconnected all outputs, waited half an hour, tired again: it buzzed, read OL and shut off.
Slight buzz inside inverter second before audible alert buzz.

It's a really sunny day, my 400ah battery bank is near/full.
600w panels attached, could the 13.8v coming in from my panels be causing an overload?
I over-specc'd the inverter to avoid this...is it still a danger?

How are you getting 13.8v from the panels? Do you mean after the controller?

How are your panels connected?

2 arrays of 3x100w panels
1 array to each of 2 renogy rover li mppts
both wired to inverter neg and pos (thru breakers)
inverter wired to battery (with breakers)

I know it's to spec, you folks have run me through it...but I'm grasping at straws. The Giandel would show a fault differently than OL I would think.

Panels connected in series? Just have to ask.
Yes, two 3x100w, 5.5A arrays, both in parallel with mc4 branch connectors
[EDIT: a total of 16.5A for the array, so under limits for both 30A and 40A mppts]

Attachments

• solar-in-parallel-bridges.jpeg
    solar-in-parallel-bridges.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
So you have them in parallel, not series.

I do think you should be getting more than 13.8v from the panels before the inverter (their rated voltage Voc)
Around 20V is normal per 100watt panel I believe. 13.8 is the Inverter regulating the voltage.

Each 300watt array should produce about 15A so the two together should be producing about 30A
All 6 of your panels are in parallel. Increased current, same voltage.

5Amps per array would be if they were in Series....with the mppt controller extracting about 20% more for about a 15amp total.
But it looks to me that you have them in Parallel

My WAG is you are mistaken about the connection and have too much current (but I am probably so wrong it's funny) :ROFLMAO:

That said, I'm still learning so I'm probably wrong.

So you have them in parallel, not series.

I do think you should be getting more than 13.8v from the panels before the inverter (their rated voltage Voc)
Around 20V is normal per 100watt panel I believe. 13.8 is the Inverter regulating the voltage.

Each 300watt array should produce about 15A so the two together should be producing about 30A
All 6 of your panels are in parallel. Increased current, same voltage.

5Amps per array would be if they were in Series....with the mppt controller extracting about 20% more for about a 15amp total.
But it looks to me that you have them in Parallel

My WAG is you are mistaken about the connection and have too much current (but I am probably so wrong it's funny) :ROFLMAO:

That said, I'm still learning so I'm probably wrong.
No, you're right: the arrays each generate 17.5 so together about 35A...the MPPT's are 30A and 40A respectively.

I am a baby at solar. Just barely a year in. It's daunting but fun, huh? :)

Then probably a bad inverter like you said. But if the same thing happens again.......

Looks like a really nice Inverter.

Do you have a DC clamp meter ?

Last edited:
2 arrays of 3x100w panels
1 array to each of 2 renogy rover li mppts
both wired to inverter neg and pos (thru breakers)
inverter wired to battery (with breakers)

I know it's to spec, you folks have run me through it...but I'm grasping at straws. The Giandel would show a fault differently than OL I would think.
You wire your Rover MPPTs to the battery not to the inverter.

The buzzer with Giandel inverter indicates battery to low or too much load (or potentially a short)- unless the inverter is bad. OL is too much load, can’t remember if it says different (LV?) if battery is low.
I haven’t heard my Giandel scream since I replaced my ten-year-old batteries a year or so ago.

Right now I’m showing 21V and 1A PV on the controller, 14.8V and .9A to batteries. Giadel 1200 pure sine Inverter showing 14.6V and 580W and no fan running.
So either your loads are too big, you have a short, connections aren’t tight- or inverter is bad.

Did you email their support folks? I’ve been running three years+ without issues with mine so I’ve never needed to but I suspect my warranty is passed.

Back