diy solar

diy solar

Can a grid tied Skybox supply power to the main panel without export?

Dforster67

I have been reading a little about this but I haven't found a clear answer.

I don't want to export because it is not cost effective with my electric coop as they charge $30 just to do net metering, plus I'll have to get a $1m liability policy for probably another $50/month.

Most of my circuits are in my critical loads subpanel, but altogether they only draw about 500 watts during most of the day, usually less. So my 5kw of panels are only going to supply 2-4kwh during the day. So until I get some batteries installed I will be wasting a lot of excess production unless I can supply some of the loads in my main panel.

My AC unit, electric dryer, and hot water heater are all that is in the main panel but they are most of our usage.

When I ordered the skybox the applications engineer told me I could definitely support the additional main panel loads with Skybox, but he didn't tell me I'd probably have to use CT's to set that up.

So my question is, can it be done this way, and how do I set it up? I planned on ordering the outback power CT's to set it up. I know the documentation says that if the CTs are installed you can use it for export control. "Many AC profiles allow the SkyBox to support the main panel (non-backup) loads (F to C) without selling power" But I'm not sure exactly which AC profile to use and how to set it up yet.

I posted over on the outback power user forum too, but they don't seem as active as this forum and I figured some of you might have the Skybox.

Thanks for any help!

Have you looked at the Outback webinars about this subject? They talk about the Skybox and Radian and the "net zero", "grid support" and a few other modes that allow you to meet your local loads while being tied to the grid but not exporting. There is a lot of info there, but its kind of boring to sit through. A really good one is the Mate3s webinar.

Back