diy solar

diy solar

Can AGM and lead Acid be mixed

Surplusdoctor

I have 2 AGM 75AH 12v batteries, and 2 Large marine lead acid batteries. Can I wire the 4 of them into 2 24v batteries and then run parallel to a 24v solar charge controller or do I need to make 2 separate systems, using 2 separate charge controllers?

Agm and deep cycle marine aren’t the same charge rates, or peaks... AGM is a design plate style... it doesn’t say what type of battery it is.

Is the agm a starting battery, or a deep cycle? 75Ah makes me think deep cycle.

My charger has an AGM setting, and a deep cycle setting...

I would use different CC... but I wouldn’t put them on the same bank either.

Agm and deep cycle marine aren’t the same charge rates, or peaks... AGM is a design plate style... it doesn’t say what type of battery it is.

Is the agm a starting battery, or a deep cycle? 75Ah makes me think deep cycle.

My charger has an AGM setting, and a deep cycle setting...

I would use different CC... but I wouldn’t put them on the same bank either.
Yes all 4 batteries are deep cycle

Deep Cycle AGM:- AGM batteries should be charged using a charger with a mode switch for AGM type batteries. It is recommended to use a charger, current limited to 20% or 0.2C of the batteries capacity at a charging voltage of between 14.6 – 14.8V following deep cycle use, or 13.6V – 13.8V for standby use.

Deep Cycle AGM:- AGM batteries should be charged using a charger with a mode switch for AGM type batteries. It is recommended to use a charger, current limited to 20% or 0.2C of the batteries capacity at a charging voltage of between 14.6 – 14.8V following deep cycle use, or 13.6V – 13.8V for standby use.
Thank you

I tried mixing lead acids with lifepo's and the results were less than stellar.

Last edited:
The general rule,
As long as the battery strings are the same voltage total, they can be used in parallel when ISOLATED from each other.

Batteries of different styles, sizes, types, even ages can't be mixed, they have to be isolated from 'Back Feeding' each other.
That means they can't be connected to the same inverter (load) feed lines without high amperage isolators.
Diodes make the most cost effective isolators that are easiest to use.

Each battery type will need it's own charge controller, anything marked 'Deep Cycle' don't have the same charge rate.
When one set demands charge, and the other set is fully charged, the fully charged set will overcharge.
Isolated charging for each type is required...

I have 2 AGM 75AH 12v batteries, and 2 Large marine lead acid batteries. Can I wire the 4 of them into 2 24v batteries and then run parallel to a 24v solar charge controller or do I need to make 2 separate systems, using 2 separate charge controllers?

OPTIMA DEEP CYCLE BATTERIES?

Back