diy solar

diy solar

Can an 8s BMS be used in a 5s or 6s pack?

BlitzSSS

Hi All

Can a BMS designed for 24v or 8s cells generally be used for a lower voltage and smaller cell count pack i.e 5s or 6s?

JBD BMS's specifically which I'm hoping I can just program for the correct values. I'm awaiting a response from JBD on Alibaba so thought I'd ask here too.

Apart from their 8s products, they have other models for 3s-8s and specifically mention 3, 4,6,7 and 8s but skipping 5s in this listing. Not sure if this is just because 5s is so rare or it is a specific limitation of the BMS/programming.

Thanks

Thanks but I don't have any BMS or the cells just yet so hoping to make an informed decision before purchase.

Hoping someone here may know.

There are some BMS boards out there that can be used with varying banks, but they are usually the cheaper line.
If protecting a good expensive bank of cells... it is wise to get a tailored high quality dedicated BMS designed for the bank.

Generally no they are setup for a specific number of cells, but as @Supervstech has indicated there are some BMS that can handle different numbers of cells. I know the Chargery BMS does 2-8 or 2-16 cells depending on which model you buy.

Hi All

Can a BMS designed for 24v or 8s cells generally be used for a lower voltage and smaller cell count pack i.e 5s or 6s?

JBD BMS's specifically which I'm hoping I can just program for the correct values. I'm awaiting a response from JBD on Alibaba so thought I'd ask here too.

Apart from their 8s products, they have other models for 3s-8s and specifically mention 3, 4,6,7 and 8s but skipping 5s in this listing. Not sure if this is just because 5s is so rare or it is a specific limitation of the BMS/programming.

Thanks
Hopefully when you purchase BMS it comes with leads

Bumping this thread in hopes that someone may have an answer now. I'm trying to build a 5S LiFePO4 pack.

And when I look up the BMS's that were shown on your Google specifically, a lot of them are just technical errors on advertising. When you actually click on the BMS, you see the only one available is 5S LTO, and the other one offers a drop-down selection, none of them include 5S.

Believe it or not, I actually did do quite a bit of looking myself before asking. ?

Weird, several of them list 18V 5S what amperage are you wanting it for?
An absolute minimum of 60, but I prefer closer to 100. The only 5S ones I've seen available have been for li-po, and not programmable.

That Google search result thing is incredibly odd. I know everyone's account is custom tailored to them, but I didn't get a single one of the results you did on the first page, yours were much more relevant.

If you get/have an Overkill BMS (or possibly another JBD BMS) you can refer to the Overkill Solar guide on alternative cell count configuration: https://overkillsolar.com/2023/06/30/bms-configuration-for-alternative-cell-counts/

Arguably this thread should be moved into the Danger Zone.
I've actually already read that, it says the chips are capable of a fifth cell, but aren't wired to accept one. Weird. I wonder if there would be a way to add a few extra components and make the fifth cell channel active.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231003-103333_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003-103333_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231003-103344_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    Screenshot_20231003-103344_Google PDF Viewer.jpg
    339.1 KB · Views: 4
I think I may end up going with a 6S pack and PWM motor speed control. I've already got an 8S, 120a, JBD, and they are supposedly able to do that.

Back