diy solar

diy solar

Can any amp hour battery be used for solar panel?

kris100

I have 2 different solar panels

10W/18V maximum power current = 0.55A . short circuit 0.61A using 8A charge controller

30W short circuit - 1.70A , open circuit voltage - 22.9V , using controller - 40A charge controller

I used car batteries till now, but want to use different batteries - gel etc

(1) 12 V - 11Ah
(2) enduroline 51913 - 20AH

Can I use these batteries for my solar panels? Please help me any rules

Thank you

You have a maximum total output amps of 3.1 and have batteries needing around 5 amps to charge.
40W isn’t much, and the 40A controller likely is sapping a lot of that 30W panel.

You have a maximum total output amps of 3.1 and have batteries needing around 5 amps to charge.
40W isn’t much, and the 40A controller likely is sapping a lot of that 30W panel.
Sorry, I am new to this batteries, controllers , panels. SO please can you explain more.
My main concern is ..am I going to damage my battery etc. I want to know the basic setup rule. Batter is connected to Controller . SO assuming that controller is the core. what is the relation between controler and battery? controller says...put a 12v battery. But is there a minimum amps?

what should I do for 40A comtroller? should I buy a lower one? I thought the more the better, as I see 56A controller is much expensive etc

'Controller' is just a battery charger. But, it can't magically create 40 amps of charging with only 1.7 amps of input. It's CAPABLE of 40 amps but not from a 30w panel.

It depends on how much you drain the batteries.
What are the loads.

That 40A controller is basically a switch to limit solar watts to protect the battery.

It can support around 550W and you have 30 on it.
It is likely the controller consoles a bit of the wattage for operation, so figure you are getting about 15W output... or around 1 amp...
And the battery, if discharged much will need 5 amps to charge.

It depends on how much you drain the batteries.
What are the loads.

That 40A controller is basically a switch to limit solar watts to protect the battery.

It can support around 550W and you have 30 on it.
It is likely the controller consoles a bit of the wattage for operation, so figure you are getting about 15W output... or around 1 amp...
And the battery, if discharged much will need 5 amps to charge.
I use for led lights (actually want to use for my arduino electronic projects)

So if my battery falls to 8.5V, then do I need to charge it to 12.4 V ?

Any suggestion on controller - a lower Amp controller?

So if my battery falls to 8.5V, then do I need to charge it to 12.4 V ?
If your battery falls to 8.5v start saving up for a new battery. If your worried about the controller just see if the battery gets hot during a cycle or two.
attachment.php

Cycle-Life.png

Back