diy solar

diy solar

Can do attitude

John Frum

Tell me your problems
I'm seeking a contract with the US navy.
Gonna make a solar powered Virginia-class submarine on spec.
I don't know anything about solar or submarines.
Someone told me that xt90 connectors are waterproof so I have that covered.
How many Battleborn batteries do you think I will need?

Virginia Class nuclear plants output 30MW. They can stay underwater between provisioning for 3 months.

(30MW x 1000 kW/MW x 3 Months x 730 hrs/Month) / 1.2kWh per BB
=
54.75 million
A lot of the electronics on those subs are connect by fiber optics, so you're gonna need some of these in addition to the xt90s.

I'm seeking a contract with the US navy.
Gonna make a solar powered Virginia-class submarine on spec.
How about going slightly off-the-spec, use photosynthesis instead of SPV cells.
It'll help during those deep dives.

Last edited:
Biggest problem, me thinks, is volume those cells would take up ... and isn't there a limit of how many BBs you can parallel?

Youre overlooking a critical aspect. The sub could use lead batteries to anchor otself in place allowing ocean currents to regenerate prop turbines. Thus requiring significantly less battery.

A lot of the electronics on those subs are connect by fiber optics, so you're gonna need some of these in addition to the xt90s.
FidoOpticCable.png
Fido had too much Fiber.

How about going slightly off-the-spec, use photosynthesis instead of SPV cells.
It'll help during those deep dives.
and never undermine safety with critical projects.
You've got to install two of these, either sides of the ship:

I think the prototype only needs one lightning arresting device. Some camouflage paint will be required.
SubOsynthesis.png

You didn't mention color and I'm thinkin this is right up there with Beatles mentality. ?‍♂️

Actually, I think you're on to something.
With the efficiency of LiFePO4 (Battleborne), the thermal signature will be greatly reduced.

Maybe install a network of underwater Tesla Megachargers around the oceans. ;)

The GPS will provide turn-by-turn directions with a route planned to reach the charging stations.
Uh, is it a problem if a known algorithm is used to guide a stealthy submarine?

There is a diesel generator (I've seen it), so you've really got a hybrid. No range anxiety here!

And of course, if you run entirely out of both charge and fuel, there's always the old "Bedsheet Sail".

Back