diy solar

diy solar

Can Generac Smart Transfer Switch be used for solar generator?

tnt2k21

Can someone tell me if the Generac Smart transfer switch work with solar generator? I have 30Kw 240v split phase inverter, and would like to be able to switch between solar generator and grid power automatically.
I know the Generac is specially designed for Generac gas power generator.
Thanks for any help.

I don't know about the Generac specifically. But you should be able to use any transfer switch that exceeds the ratings of your equipment. You Must do this connection to code. Best check with utility supplier and local building department.

That I know. If find one, I will hire an electrician to do it. I want the transfer switch to do automatically. Do you have any recommendations fir the brand?
Thanjs

You have a 30KW inverter? What battery voltage is it? 625A at 48V... wowsers...

Can you post pics and such on the system?

The key question here is the way you want your system to work. The Generac switch is typically used with an OFFLINE generator that must be started in the event of a power failure. In this case, the house normally operates on grid power and switches to generator when the grid is lost.

With your large solar setup, I assume you want to use the Solar output as primary? And grid as backup in the event of a Solar inverter failure?
In this case, the inputs to the Generac would be reversed. Grid would go the generator input and Solar would to the grid input. However, you need to carefully study the specs (maximum ratings, switchover parameters, home generator ON detection etc.) to verify that this would work. Download the manual, study it and contact Generac for questions. My wild guess is that they wouldn't warranty support such a setup. Depending on where you live, the hardest part may be getting a permit for your "custom" setup without a licensed electrician signing off. This is important if you want your house insurance to pay off, if there is a fire.

Last edited:
The key question here is the way you want your system to work. The Generac switch is typically used with an OFFLINE generator that must be started in the event of a power failure. In this case, the house normally operates on grid power and switches to generator when the grid is lost.

With your large solar setup, I assume you want to use the Solar output as primary? And grid as backup in the event of a Solar inverter failure?
In this case, the inputs to the Generac would be reversed. Grid would go the generator input and Solar would to the grid input. However, you need to carefully study the specs (maximum ratings, switchover parameters, home generator ON detection etc.) to verify that this would work. Download the manual, study it and contact Generac for questions. My wild guess is that they wouldn't warranty support such a setup. Depending on where you live, the hardest part may be getting a permit for your "custom" setup without a licensed electrician signing off. This is important if you want your house insurance to pay off, if there is a fire.
That is what have in mind. Using the solar generator as main power source and grid as a backup. I talked Generac, and company said, it wouldn't work, because the signal from the transfer switch is only intended for Generac gas powered generator. I was hoping someone here knows a way for it to work with solar generator. That is also why I'm hoping someone can recommends a different brand for solar generator.

I need to qualify some things:
Unless you are very experienced with residential and service entrance wiring you should not attempt such a project.
Unless you are very familiar with your local electrical code you should not attempt such a project.
Most Utilities have very strict "service entrance" requirements that you must follow.
Service entrance wiring can carry extremely high and dangerous currents ( >1000 amps @240VAC in USA, 200kw+)

This is not a beginner DIY project.
Seek out a local electrical contractor if you don't have the necessary experience.

That said, this guy reviews several transfer switches that might fit your needs:
Best

Last edited:
Can someone tell me if the Generac Smart transfer switch work with solar generator? I have 30Kw 240v split phase inverter, and would like to be able to switch between solar generator and grid power automatically.
I know the Generac is specially designed for Generac gas power generator.
Thanks for any help.
I looked at this - but it seemed to complicated for me, so I went with a series of ATSs - each one can do 240v@50a (12,000w). I have several around the house. I feed my off-grid inverters to distribution panels and from there to 240v@50a groups of circuits (Progressive ATSs) or some 120v@30a circuits (Go-Power ATSs) with UPSs. At the Main Panel I added an MTS for control of general house circuits but dedicated ones at the Heat Pump and computer circuits (with UPS) for critical load circuits that I always want to be powered. Its not as complicated as it might sound if you're clear about your home circuitry. These ATSs have done 2000+ switch-overs so far - twice daily for 3+ years - with no issue.

The Generac Smart Transfer Switch seems like it will do the ATS+MTS combo - but I wasn't sure I could wire/figure-it out myself to code / UL etc and it was pretty expensive. Bottom line - YES this kind of thing can works great for automatically integrating off-grid power into home circuits :)

Here's a pic of one I installed on my main panel in conjunction with an MTS so I could control general Individual circuits...
1638115407207.png

The ATSs I used are like this but with surge protector - https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-...ve+50a+ATS&qid=1638114788&s=automotive&sr=1-6 (It's possible for surge on certain motors such as AC compressor due to mis-matched sine-waves during switch-over. I don't have this issue - but some might)

The MTS I used - https://www.homedepot.com/p/Relianc...ircuit-Manual-Transfer-Switch-A510C/206503336

The downside is I have some UPSs to smooth the twice daily transitions between solar and grid for the computer (and other sensitive) circuits.

Last edited:
I need to qualify some things:
Unless you are very experienced with residential and service entrance wiring you should not attempt such a project.
Unless you are very familiar with your local electrical code you should not attempt such a project.
Most Utilities have very strict "service entrance" requirements that you must follow.
Service entrance wiring can carry extremely high and dangerous currents ( >1000 amps @240VAC in USA, 200kw+)

This is not a beginner DIY project.
Seek out a local electrical contractor if you don't have the necessary experience.

That said, this guy reviews several transfer switches that might fit your needs:
Best
Thank you very much I will watch the video. I'm intended to hire an electrician to do this job. Anything inside my house I have no problem doing it, but anything do outside the meter, I will licensed electrician do it. Thanks again for the information.
Cheers,
Tung

Back