diy solar

diy solar

Can I add panels to my system?

gg576

Hello all...Since adding a Plug in hybrid vehicle and twin boys (4 years old) my original 100 percent grid tied installed system is coming up shy and will continue to do so.

I have 25 Sunpower 327 w panels on two strings. One has 15 facing south and the other has 10 facing east. Solaredge 7600 inverter with optimizers on the panels.

It looks like i have room for 6 330 w panels on one string and 1 330 w panel on the other. I can fit 7 panels on my flat garage roof (very close to the string facing east).

I did get an estimate from the original installer and another one. They propose a new system using microinverters. I have had the system 7 years and am really close to my breakeven. Adding these through them would increase my breakeven time by a fair amount.

It seems to me I can install panels myself using the inverter that is in place would not be difficult. It is a ranch house so not overly dangerous. I have run circuits up to 240v/60 a with no issue so the electrical seems straightforward plug and play.

If I am way off let me know. My other question is will I have an issue with my electric provider? Will they see me producing more and seek me out? They have tried to get rid of net metering to no avail recently. Clearly my region is adding a lot back to the grid (Long Island, NY)

Thanks for the help.

The string sizing tool on Solaredge's site can answer your question about adding more panels. Can you purchase the same panels? Mixing panel sizes and types can get complicated.
Adding a separate micro inverter system is the easist way to incrementally add capacity until you get to the point that a new string inverter would scale up more economically. If you are pulling a permit there are Rapid Shut Down requirements now that did not exist 7 years ago.

Finally the terms of your Permission To Operate from your utility may describe some of the limits in terms of exporting to the grid. I have added capacity behind the meter and limited the amount of export so that I remain "within the kW capacity" of my PTO but cover more of my loads during the day. It is a grey area that can be worth exploiting legally.

Back