diy solar

diy solar

Can i bond neutral from 1 inverter to phase from another?

Scph9002

Solar Enthusiast
I have 2 inverters deliver 1 phase each. They will be delivering power to different outlets.

Can i use same 3phase RCD to both inverters and does it matter if I connect live or neutral from inverter#1 togheter with live or neutral from inverter#2 into the neutral slot in my RCD. The other cables will go in different phase slots.

Here is how I intend to wire it with better pictures.

Top 2 black big cables are input 230volt from 2 different inverters with 1 phase each. The inverters are epever 48v 2000 watt and 12v 1500 watt. Dc input and ac output are isolated. The inverters share common dc negative an dc ground and chassic ground and ac ground all bonded to one earth ground

It works fine but i want to add a rcd and ac fuses.
The rcd is a 3 phase rcd

Bottom 2 black wires are 2 different ac outlets.

As you can see in pictures they share same neutral line but I am using brown wire as neutral from one inverter just to demostrate that is happening if you plug in the ac cable to inverter upsidedown hence my question in topic "can you bond neutral and phase from seperate ac sources?
I will wire it correctly color coded

The RCD is good for 40 amps so at worst with inverters out of sync with its phases the common neutral would only conduct 6.5 amps plus 8.5 amps if both inverters run at their peak

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_210354.jpg
    IMG_20210818_210354.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20210818_210403.jpg
    IMG_20210818_210403.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210818_210413.jpg
    IMG_20210818_210413.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Here is how I intend to wire it with better pictures.

Top 2 black big cables are input 230volt from 2 different inverters with 1 phase each. The inverters are epever 48v 2000 watt and 12v 1500 watt. Dc input and ac output are isolated. The inverters share common dc negative an dc ground and chassic ground and ac ground all bonded to one earth ground

It works fine but i want to add a rcd and ac fuses.
The rcd is a 3 phase rcd

Bottom 2 black wires are 2 different ac outlets.

As you can see in pictures they share same neutral line but I am using brown wire as neutral from one inverter just to demostrate that is happening if you plug in the ac cable to inverter upsidedown hence my question in topic "can you bond neutral and phase from seperate ac sources?

To answer what you asked exactly:
No you can not bond phase from separate AC sources !!!!
If it is not grid-tie inverters then there is no guaranty the two phase will be in sync.
And then comes the firework.

But this is really not your question.
You want to use a single 3 phase RCD for the 2 phase. (Why ???)
You could use it, but please do not do it. The 2 neutrals together to neutral, L1 and L2 to its place.
Yes the sum of the 2 random phase and the combined 2 neutral should be zero.
But if you do not separate the neutrals then random shutdowns will occur.

You can use them separately.
1 RCD for 1 inverter.

Also there is a place where a brown and a blue cable is going in. (blue-phase, brown-neutral)
That do not feel right.

To answer what you asked exactly:
No you can not bond phase from separate AC sources !!!!
If it is not grid-tie inverters then there is no guaranty the two phase will be in sync.
And then comes the firework.

But this is really not your question.
You want to use a single 3 phase RCD for the 2 phase. (Why ???)
You could use it, but please do not do it. The 2 neutrals together to neutral, L1 and L2 to its place.
Yes the sum of the 2 random phase and the combined 2 neutral should be zero.
But if you do not separate the neutrals then random shutdowns will occur.

You can use them separately.
1 RCD for 1 inverter.

Also there is a place where a brown and a blue cable is going in. (blue-phase, brown-neutral)
That do not feel right.
I want to have RCD or ground fault protection on both inverters with same rcd.

What I meant was, is there a difference between blue neutral wire and brown phase wire in a 1 phase inverter? I mean they both should be phase and neutral depending on which cycle or phase they are in and bonding one with another from other inverter that is isolated ac wise wont work?

I want to have RCD or ground fault protection on both inverters with same rcd.

What I meant was, is there a difference between blue neutral wire and brown phase wire in a 1 phase inverter? I mean they both should be phase and neutral depending on which cycle or phase they are in and bonding one with another from other inverter that is isolated ac wise wont work?

Not at all. Line is hot. Neutral is not. Already grounded in the inverter.

It is good if you put an RCD on an inverter output.
But one for every inverter.
Separate line, separate neutral, common ground.

Not at all. Line is hot. Neutral is not. Already grounded in the inverter.

It is good if you put an RCD on an inverter output.
But one for every inverter.
Separate line, separate neutral, common ground.
Ok thanks. Can you try explain to me why I cant share neutral from 2 separate 1 phase inverters via same rcd? The outputs and the 2 lines out will be separate powering separate things

Ok thanks. Can you try explain to me why I cant share neutral from 2 separate 1 phase inverters via same rcd? The outputs and the 2 lines out will be separate powering separate things

You have different capacitive and inductive loads.
That mess up your PF to + and/or - in the same time in both phases.
With 2 inverters in random phases and a common neutral sometimes the 30mA fault will be there and RCD disconnects.
Also happens with grid + inverter too.
Separate neutral is always the good and clear choice.

You have different capacitive and inductive loads.
That mess up your PF to + and/or - in the same time in both phases.
With 2 inverters in random phases and a common neutral sometimes the 30mA fault will be there and RCD disconnects.
Also happens with grid + inverter too.
Separate neutral is always the good and clear choice.
Ok thanks for explaining. ?

Now i have only connected main inverter to it. I wont risk life or equipment trying stuff i dont fully understand ?

The other inverter is to drive water heater only

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_232437.jpg
    IMG_20210818_232437.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 7
Ok thanks for explaining. ?

Now i have only connected main inverter to it. I wont risk life or equipment trying stuff i dont fully understand ?

The other inverter is to drive water heater only

Good :)
And a simple 1 phase RCD will be enough for the other inverter :)

Back