diy solar

diy solar

Can I charge this All in One with a 20 amp DC-DC Charger? Charger thru the PV Port?

Sea

Hi, New at this, sooo here goes. This power box seems to be a good quick solution for Road Trip camping in the van. No room for Solar panel so DC-DC charger seems the way to charge a house battery. Wha-da-y'all-think?

The specs from Amazon are copied below.
--Question #1: Can the 200 W Anderson Port accept charge current directly from 20 amp from DC-DC Charger?

Question #2 How to compute?

a) 200 Watt max / 20 amps Max from DC = 10 Volts input to charge the Unit.
OR
b) 200 Watt Max input to Battery / 110 volts. = 9.09 Amps Input from DC Charger

Question #3 Can the Renogy (or other) 20 amp DC-DC charger be set to constrain charge output to Maximum value (amps) to prevent blowing up the battery?

Question #4 to Wire an Anderson Port. would I just wire the DC Charger with ring tabs, fused the to Anderson connector to plug into unit?

Okmo #Battery Specs below.
FLEXIBLE CHARGING: The maximum input of the Anderson port is 200W By connecting two 100W solar panels, G1000 can be fully charged by more than 90% within 6 hours You can also charge it using an AC Adapter 10 Hrs and Car Charger 9 Hrs
‎OKMO
Part Number ‎G1000
Item Weight ‎30 pounds
Product Dimensions ‎12.6 x 9.05 x 10.24 inches
Style ‎1.OKMO 1000W
Power Source ‎Battery-powered, Solar powered
Voltage ‎110 Volts
Wattage ‎1000 watts

Portable Power Station 1000W, 300000mAh 1110Wh Backup Battery, 200W Max Input, PD 60W, Electric Solar Generator Outage Emergency Power Supply for

Attachments

• okmo.png
    okmo.png
    344.3 KB · Views: 1
Personally, I would just charge from the cigarette lighter in your car instead of installing the DC-DC converter and buy a portable solar panel instead. You wouldn't gain that much charging speed over just using the cigarette lighter as that unit couldn't utilize the full 20 amps anyway.

Camelcase,
What is the logic you used to get your opinion? What is the weak link in this unit's charge input layout? And how do you compute the max amps this unit can accept from its Anderson PV input port? Thx

HI Sea, amps are just watts divided by volts so:

200w/12v = 16.66 amps

A 20 amp DC-DC charger would put out a nominal 20a * 12v = 240W

Based on the specs you listed, if charging via the cigarette lighter can charge it in 9 hours where the 200w solar via the Anderson plug takes 6, we can estimate that the cigarette lighter port can charge at a rate of 16.66a * (6/9) = 11.11a. That means you would only gain an additional 5.5 amps by installing the DC-DC charger over using the cigarette lighter port. Since you'll probably spend way more time parked than driving on your camping trips, I think you'll get more benefit from a portable solar panel than the DC-DC charger.

Last edited:
Thanks camelCase. I appreciate how you broke it down. I feel like im back in 7th grade tring to understand this electricity stuff!

The vehicle with cigar port-i dont want to take a chance of draining the starter battery--so I consider cigar port charge option strictly backup. Example of something i envision:. Road Trip Day 5 drive 4 hours charging on cigar lighter, end of day forget to unplug. Next morning house battery drained and sadness/ hassle etc.

I wonder why the Anderson Port ( SB50 ) can charge the All in One Okno power box (AiO) 50% faster than the DC in from the vehicle? Is it a difference inside the AiO's SB50 vs. The Dc charge input jacks. Or the MTTP ( PWM? ) solar panel charge controller indide the AiO OR is it the lower amps coming in thru the car cigar port?

The Solar Panel, if plugged into Anderson Port ( SB50 ), is 6 hrs charge. If plugged into DC in port takes 10 hours.

Also, that DC charge port takes 10 hours to charge from either Solar Panel or ACwall- so the SB50 Anderson Port is 40% faster. (10-6)/10.

Im trying also to understand why the DC port Charge socket works faster with the Cigar plug than the ACWall. The info in the screenshot says Cigar Port from car takes 9 hrs, WallAC takes 10 hours (10-9)/9= 11% difference within just the DC In charge plug.

Thinking out loud.

Most cars can only safely supply about 10 amps or 120w through the cigarette lighter due to thin wires, so that is why they current limit the charge rate for the 12v DC plug.

Check to see if you have a cigarette lighter plug in your vehicle that turns off with the key. Most of my cars are that way.

The AC wall charger is probably just sized smaller to save $$?

Back