diy solar

diy solar

Can I connect 3 100w panels to one charge controller?

salve

I have a 100ah battleborn and a 300w (24v) renogy panel, and I wanted to add another battery and panel, but I don't have space on the roof (as well as that the same exact 300w panel is no longer sold). So I was looking at getting 3 100w panels I think may fit on my roof. I was looking online and everything seems to involve even numbers of panels. I can't quite see why this would be a problem, can anyone just clarify that it's not really? The 3 panels I want to connect are exactly the same and I'll just connect it to a different charge controller (than the one I'm using) and connect that to the battery. There's no efficiency loss is there?

the same exact 300w panel is no longer sold)
3 100W panels will produce the same amount of power as 1 300W panel. Are you adding the 3x 100W panels or adding to the 300W panel.

Can you post the Voc and Imp of both types of panels? It should be on the panel label as well as in any add for ones you are shopping for.

Adding panels with different specs is possible. Matching similar voltage and current panels is far more efficient. Also how you connect the panels which is limited by your charge controller. Which charge controller do you have and what is max input voltage from solar?

So the panel I'm looking to add is this one from renogy: (Voc): 24.3V, (Imp): 4.91A. This one is 100w. The one I have is a 300w renogy (Voc: 38.80V, Imp: 9.32A). I have the 300w one connected to a 30 amp epever charger (Max. PV Open Circuit Voltage: 150V/138V).
I initially wanted to connect the panels together with my other panel and use it with the current charge controller, but I became overwhelmed trying to figure it out and though I can just get another controller and attach it all to the same battery.

So the panel I'm looking to add is this one from renogy: (Voc): 24.3V, (Imp): 4.91A.
You could put 2 of these in parallel (to make 9.82A) and put that in series with your 300W panel to make (24.3Voc + 38.8Voc) = 63.1Voc
This would produce 63.1V x 9.32A = 588W (you should calculate this with Vmp and Imp for a more realistic number)

I cannot see a way to use the 4 panels (300W + 3x 100W) together reasonably.

how is it that when you add the 300W to 2 100W panels you get over 500?

So I was looking at getting 3 100w panels

In general prime numbers are a pain to work with. Doing a 2s2p or a 3s4p or a 12s39p all requires an even number of panels. Yes, you can mix & match but it takes luck to get panels to be close enough to not nerf each other. The easiest way to mix & match is always going to be parallel charge controllers. Throw the new panels on their own controller and you don't have the big panel and the small panels trying to fight each other.

I was using the Voc numbers you provided. The panels are rated with Vmp and Imp.

The bottom line is that if you put 2 small panels in parallel it’s amperage worked well with the large panel if combined in series.

Back