diy solar

diy solar

Can I connect RV 12 volt wires directly to Jackery 12 volt socket

gkrn

I have a Jackery 1500 and 4 - 100 watt solar saga panels. On our 25ft RV trailer we currently have a 12 volt Deka DP27 battery as our 12 volt source. I have a couple questions as a newbie to solar.

1) Can I take the wires that currently go to the 12 volt Deka battery and make connections to connect those wires to the Jackery 12 volt cigarette socket bypassing the Deka battery all together? (Would reconnect the Deka battery when traveling for brake and tail light functions) . I was originally going to plug the camper 30amp shore power into the Jackery but realizing loss using the AC has me thinking if there are reasonable alternatives.

2) We purchased the camper new 12/21. The dealer stored the camper till we picked it up the end of March 2021. Dealer stored the camper outside (freezing) with the battery attached. Needless to say the Deka battery was dead on pickup. We would like to get another battery for camping this spring. We cannot go the lithium route due to costs involved in switching. We have been considering a single AGM battery.

a) Does any one know if the AGM will charge while we are driving like the current Deka battery does? The trailer plugs into a 7 way plug on the truck.
b) The camper has a WFCO WF-8735 converter. (I attached the specs for the converter. ) Can we keep the current converter if we get an AGM? Will this converter recharge the battery when on shore power like it does the Deka?
c) What AGM battery do the experts recommend as a single battery for an RV? The battery will only be used to power the refrig on propane when we don't have shore power. Not a lot of draw.

I appreciate everyone's input. There is so much to learn with solar.

betty

Attachments

• Converter WF-8735 _ wfcoelectronics.com.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
I have a Jackery 1500 and 4 - 100 watt solar saga panels. On our 25ft RV trailer we currently have a 12 volt Deka DP27 battery as our 12 volt source. I have a couple questions as a newbie to solar.

1) Can I take the wires that currently go to the 12 volt Deka battery and make connections to connect those wires to the Jackery 12 volt cigarette socket bypassing the Deka battery all together? (Would reconnect the Deka battery when traveling for brake and tail light functions) .

Yes, but the 12V socket is probably current limited to as little as 10A. Any high drain items, like the water pump, might not work. There are also losses because the Jackery is using a regulator to output a constant 12V, and that consumes juice as well.

I was originally going to plug the camper 30amp shore power into the Jackery but realizing loss using the AC has me thinking if there are reasonable alternatives.

While inefficient, plugging into the Jackery's 30A is "easy mode" and may be the only viable option due to the 12V output current limit. Your 12V stuff will only be about 75% efficient, but the 12V consumption is probably relatively low on an average basis.

2) We purchased the camper new 12/21. The dealer stored the camper till we picked it up the end of March 2021. Dealer stored the camper outside (freezing) with the battery attached. Needless to say the Deka battery was dead on pickup. We would like to get another battery for camping this spring. We cannot go the lithium route due to costs involved in switching. We have been considering a single AGM battery.

IMHO, they owe you a new battery. You might be surprised at the price points of the lower end LFP batteries especially when you compare USABLE capacity.

a) Does any one know if the AGM will charge while we are driving like the current Deka battery does? The trailer plugs into a 7 way plug on the truck.

Yes. AGM is just another type of lead acid battery.

b) The camper has a WFCO WF-8735 converter. (I attached the specs for the converter. ) Can we keep the current converter if we get an AGM? Will this converter recharge the battery when on shore power like it does the Deka?

Again, AGM is just another kind of lead acid battery. The converter has typical specs that work for most lead acid batteries, and that unit in particular would also work well for LFP.

c) What AGM battery do the experts recommend as a single battery for an RV? The battery will only be used to power the refrig on propane when we don't have shore power. Not a lot of draw.

No recommendations. Select recognizable name brand "deep cycle" AGM based on capacity, price, warranty and availability.

Back