diy solar

diy solar

Can i convert 110v to split phase?

Johannlog

The sun shines even on cold days
Is there a way to take two 110v lines and make one of them 180°out of phase to make 220v split phase?

Is there a way to take two 110v lines and make one of them 180°out of phase to make 220v split phase?
Before someone gives you some bad advice because of a lack of details it would be best if you explained in detail where are you getting this 110V from. Is it two generators your trying to use or is it inverters? And what make and model are they. You can put certain generators in parallel and double that amperage so two 3000W generators would give you 6000W of 110 voltage. This could then be fed into a Transformer which would give you 220V or 110V-0-100V on the output or 220V at 27 Amps.

Last edited:
Before someone gives you some bad advice because of a lack of details it would be best if you explained in detail where are you getting this 110V from. Is it two generators your trying to use or is it inverters? And what make and model are they. You can put certain generators in parallel and double that amperage so two 3000W generators would give you 6000W of 110 voltage. This could then be fed into a Transformer which would give you 220V or 110V-0-100V on the output or 220V at 27 Amps.
Thanks @robby
I am curious about what that would look like in either situation, 2 generators or an inverter (or 2 x 110v inverters?)
But first the generator, someone said I can get a second 2000w Honda generator and connect both of them....

It seems to me that there would have to be a way of syncing them as I suppose that the phases of each would automatically be off of each other somewhat. Is that correct logic?

It can be done. Various inverters and generators support combing two 110/120v units and making a 220/240v output.

Thanks @robby
I am curious about what that would look like in either situation, 2 generators or an inverter (or 2 x 110v inverters?)
But first the generator, someone said I can get a second 2000w Honda generator and connect both of them....

It seems to me that there would have to be a way of syncing them as I suppose that the phases of each would automatically be off of each other somewhat. Is that correct logic?
I kind of figured it was some Honda EU2200 you where thinking about trying this with.
They can sync in phase and double the amperage but not the voltage.

With the Honda inverter generators, the second to start automatically syncs itself with the first.

I think it's a good idea to spell out what you need the 220V power for? Are you in the US, or located elsewhere in the world? Do you need to run a large 240V appliance like a kitchen stove, or is this a 50Hz European stereo you bought overseas and want to run at home? Is it exactly 220V you want, is it something that runs on American split-phase 240V?

As Porch mentions above, I have two different inverters, 24V, and 48V; that can both run 240V stuff. I use the 48V inverter to run my 240V well pump. What you eventually get will depend partially on how MUCH 220V power you need.

I think it's a good idea to spell out what you need the 220V power for? Are you in the US, or located elsewhere in the world? Do you need to run a large 240V appliance like a kitchen stove, or is this a 50Hz European stereo you bought overseas and want to run at home? Is it exactly 220V you want, is it something that runs on American split-phase 240V?

As Porch mentions above, I have two different inverters, 24V, and 48V; that can both run 240V stuff. I use the 48V inverter to run my 240V well pump. What you eventually get will depend partially on how MUCH 220V power you need.
I'm looking at buying a 18k mini split for my RV in USA and currently have solar plenty to run it BUT the bigger mini splits are all split phase and I'm trying to figure out what kind of transformer I can get that would take my 120 and convert it to 220 split phase to run the split phase mini splits with my 24 volt 4000 watt inverter. Or if anyone knows of a cheaper 18 single phase 120...
ANY help in deciphering is greatly appreciated!

I'm looking at buying a 18k mini split for my RV in USA and currently have solar plenty to run it BUT the bigger mini splits are all split phase and I'm trying to figure out what kind of transformer I can get that would take my 120 and convert it to 220 split phase to run the split phase mini splits with my 24 volt 4000 watt inverter. Or if anyone knows of a cheaper 18 single phase 120...
ANY help in deciphering is greatly appreciated!
OK, let's use proper terminology and numbers. American split-phase AC is 240V, not 220V. You do NOT need a transformer. Just get a standard split-phase inverter. Some companies make native split-phase that are both 120 and 240V. The Schneider Conext, and the Outback Radian are good examples.

Other companies can make split-phase with two of their inverters paralleled together. They are connected via an Ethernet connection and communicate with each other to make two 120V AC phases 180 degrees from each other. Outback's FX series is designed that way.

You'll get the best results if you determine what your starting load is first. If you get a clamp meter like this one, you can read starting inrush current, to know the proper size your inverter needs to be. I'd start there before determining what inverter you are going to buy.

Back