diy solar

diy solar

Can I get a hand with a design layout please?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
I'm trying to find a way of building a battery out of the EVE 280a cells for 24v in the future, but I'm starting to get a headache on the physical layout and my space requirements. Can anyone help me double-check my design and convert to Inches (since that's what I have to work with materials wise)please?

16 cells, 24v, 8s 200a BMS
My mounting space is a maximum of 20" wide and 43" long, 24" tall

Anyone got Gimp and a ruler handy?

Thanks all!

Last edited:
16 x 72mm = 46" is too long so the stack will need to be made in two at 23" vs the 43" gives 20" space for BMS, fuses etc.
173 x 2 is 14" deep vs 20" so plenty of space for insulation, box material and heat pad if needed.
205 tall is just over 8" so plenty of head room. Actually might be enough space to build in a shelf and install a second battery on top if double capacity might be needed.

16 cells is probably too heavy to build a battery and drop it in. I would build a frame to hold the cells in place. Then assemble the battery cell by cell in the given space, make connections and put in service.

Picture of the space might help.

Picture of the space might help.
That I can do!

This is pretty close in size and shape, mine is the heavier duty Gorilla Rack version with a few changes.
1: The drawer is gone
2: The top shelf is being removed
3: The pegboard in the back is going to be replaced with concrete board and plywood sandwich that I mount the AIO/bus bars/fuse blocks/etc on
4: All the shelves have been replaced with 3/4" ply and epoxy paint (currently have FLA's on there)
5: The shelves are actually 24" x 48" (really easy to replace with REAL wood:))

I was planning on 2" foil coated foam board on all sides for insulation so take out 2" from each measurement (hence the 20" and 43")

So what's the connection diagram look like for a battery like that? I'm envisioning strapping 2 cells together in parallel then connecting those banks together in series, so 4x4?
Do I have my sketch right?
Am I going to have enough room to put the insulation on either side and still fit in the 24" space?
Do I need to worry about compression or can I just use tape?
Should I line the box with thin plywood or something? I'm planning on an aluminum plate on the bottom to help spread the heat from the heating pads, but what about the sides and top?
Any reason I couldn't in the future add a 3rd cell to each bank?

Thanks!

Attachments

• bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Camp 8s Batt.jpg
    Camp 8s Batt.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Easy fit on that bottom shelf. I would keep the drawers for spare parts or tools. The battery will be about 12" x 28".
Connections are fine although the green series connections should alternate side to side for balance. The first green near the positive should be on the lower terminals. Main negative also on the lower terminal.

Back