diy solar

diy solar

Can I goose the top balance with my charge controller?

Yurtdweller

Solar Enthusiast
Can I build a 4s battery with BMS, then charge the whole series with 30 amps from my mppt solar charge controller until I get one cell to about 3.55, then go to top balancing with the bench top PS? I want to do it this way, because I currently operate off a 100ah LiFePo4, and I cannot simply let a btps run for days. I expect the cells to be very well voltage matched when they arrive.

Sure ..... that is a good method.
The only downside I can think of is wear and tear on the terminal studs from re-configuring.

That's what I did with mine. Made the 4s pack and charged it thru the BMS with a car charger. Then I reconfigured it and top balanced in parallel. My battery box config allows me to put the cells in parallel (using supplied busbars) or series without unclamping them

Thanks guys. I thought so, but I'm self-taught, and with so much different info out there, I just wanted to run this idea by the forum. My cells are in Long Beach, now, and I'm making final preparations. :) I'm seriously considering rolling down to the Efest Electric warehouse in Houston to get a separate set of cells to try this process, so that I'm sure I'm not futzing up part of a 16 cell batch:)

Back