diy solar

diy solar

Can i have some help with some questions on BMS's and how i killed mine.

ChuckNorris

I fried a bms the other day. Here is how i think it happened. I was test fitting the wiring. I pulled 1 of the 16 bms leads on the 16s bms out on accident. I realized i did and was under the impression that if the bms lead is missing the bms would still work just not show that cell or stop it from charging. The lead that i yanked also happened to be the 1rst cell positive lead. So when i plugged in my 16s bms into the wiring harness. I'm pretty sure that's what fried it. Now my question is. What fried it... plugging in the bms harness without all 16 leads perfect. Or was it because it was the 1rst cell positive lead missing that killed it. So i want to know if disconnecting the positive bms leads from a cell while the bms is active is harmful or kills it?
Where i really need to know what hurts the bms is because of how i want to build my next battery box.

I really need to know if i can unhook the positive BMS leads first. Before i disconnect the actual harness. Because i won't be able to get to the harness until i disconnect them from top of the battery. 1 by 1. So for example if disconnecting the negative bms lead would turn off the bms saftely. Then i can disconnect the red positive leads. THen i can get to the bms. THen disconnect the hardness. IF that makes sense. Or what's the best or proper way to disable or turn off a daly BMS?
20210108_024407.jpg20210108_142217.jpg

First, picture reaction - It's my understanding that cell should either be upright or standing on the skinny side. Laying on their flat sides like that can cause electrolyte starvation of the "plates" at the top of the cell in that orientation.

Some BMS are more sensitive than others. The generally accepted way is to probably attach all cells and then attach the connector to the BMS. Have you confirmed that the BMS is fried, or did the missing voltage value cause it to drop LVD, and it needs to be reset?

First, picture reaction - It's my understanding that cell should either be upright or standing on the skinny side. Laying on their flat sides like that can cause electrolyte starvation of the "plates" at the top of the cell in that orientation.

Some BMS are more sensitive than others. The generally accepted way is to probably attach all cells and then attach the connector to the BMS. Have you confirmed that the BMS is fried, or did the missing voltage value cause it to drop LVD, and it needs to be reset?
How do you reset it?

Plates? The prismatic cells I know of, which are very few, contain a roll. My guess as to why they recommend laying on the flat side is because the roll will be covered with more electrolyte than if it is laying on the edge. Calb, Thundersky or GWL cells might be a constructed differently. Regardless, I would do as EVE suggests if using EVE cells. I plan to keep my cells vertical.

i did determine that i killed the bms. I think what happened was 1 of 2 things. Most likely i hooked the connector up to the bms when the 1rst cell positive balance lead was disconnected. If that's not what fried it. Then the only other thing would be i hooked up one of the balance leads in the wrong order.

Also. I literally only tilted the batteries up for the picture. That is the first and last time those batteries will be standing up. BUT!!!! SUPER SUPER good to know. I actually had no idea. I was kind of wandering about that. BUT i also think that according to eve. Laying them flat is fine. As long as "FLAT" means the way i have them when i'm standing the case up

This is my Daly pile of trash. I toasted one, my neighbour the other two. They are extremely sensitive. In two of the cases it was a balance cable that lost its connection. Think it was the negative at one time and a positive the other. The third case was that I dropped a small (signal) cable that had ground on the light board (the old style without casing). Now before I do anything at all in my battery cabinet I always disconnect the balance cable from the BMS. No accidents since then...

Attachments

• 60FBFCE2-37ED-466E-961B-467582D1B751.jpeg
    60FBFCE2-37ED-466E-961B-467582D1B751.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 4
Also. I literally only tilted the batteries up for the picture. That is the first and last time those batteries will be standing up. BUT!!!! SUPER SUPER good to know. I actually had no idea. I was kind of wandering about that. BUT i also think that according to eve. Laying them flat is fine. As long as "FLAT" means the way i have them when i'm standing the case up
Where did you order that case? Work's out perfect.

Back