diy solar

diy solar

Can I leave this connected for extended periods w/o supervision? Progressive Dynamics 12V 45-Amp Battery Charger

Wired1. I have two suggestions 1. If you have, or can add proper metering (shunt/BMS/hand held VOM/clamp on etc.) to measure the actual voltage and amps just simulate a black-out. Use various time durations and loads on the system and see what the charger actually does at restart and later. 2. email PD with your specific questions about your pre modifications (multi charge rate upgrade) charger or maybe yours is the newer version?

The PD OEM description needs to be disambiguated (at bottom). It looks like at startup the newer version of the charger (that you have?) adjusts its output from 14.6 VDC and eventually goes to a 13.6 VDC "idle" or maybe that also get "adjusted" ? No matter what we assume, guess, surmise or ferret out here on the forum, meters attached right to the batteries will be better.

"When power is initially applied at the converter/charger DC terminals, the Charge Wizard (CW) will run a startup routine then begin providing a 14.6 VDC charging voltage to the battery. The CW will begin to monitor both the current and the voltage of the converter to determine the correct output voltage required. The charging will continue for at least 1 hour. If the current generated from the converter remains high, the charging will continue for up to a maximum 8 hours. Once the charging current drops off or a total of 8 hours has transpired, the CW will reduce the output to an idle voltage of 13.6 VDC"
I have an email into PD asking what's what!

I hope you have better luck on the topic than when I emailed them last year, when the stock answer was upgrade to our Lithium charger

I have an email into PD asking what's what!
This is what PD says. Charge voltage 14.6 VDC Idle voltage 13.6 VDC Charging operation: When power is initially applied at the converter/charger DC terminals, the Charge Wizard (CW) will run a startup routine then begin providing a 14.6 VDC charging voltage to the battery. The CW will begin to monitor both the current and the voltage of the converter to determine the correct output voltage required. The charging will continue for at least 1 hour. If the current generated from the converter remains high, the charging will continue for up to a maximum 8 hours. Once the charging current drops off or a total of 8 hours has transpired, the CW will reduce the output to an idle voltage of 13.6 VDC. When you are connected to AC power for extended periods of time, such as full time with hookup or seasonal storage with hookup, the CW will initiate the charge voltage to top off your battery and then return to idle. This will occur at 3 week intervals. The CW can be powered from any voltage present in the converter output circuit. This voltage could be supplied from either the converter or the battery. As long as the voltage is above 5 VDC, the CW will turn on. The CW will monitor current and voltage at the output terminals without AC power applied and tries to adjust the output accordingly. However, there will be no actual voltage change until AC power is applied to the converter. If the battery voltage drops below 90% static charge, the CW will switch to the charge mode and recharge the battery once AC power is restored.

My question now is will the constant voltage of 13.6 amps being applied until the battery drops below 90%, hurt my batteries?

13.6 volts will hold the battery at 100% charged. Battery will only begin to discharge if the load exceeds the PD rating.

So, won't that in effect, shorten the life of the Batteries? I thought I read on here the batteries should be kept between 20% and 80% for the best life.
Possibly some but 13.6 should not be terrible. I would prefer 14.2 and 13.2 and I read a post where these could be adjusted internally.

Possibly some but 13.6 should not be terrible. I would prefer 14.2 and 13.2 and I read a post where these could be adjusted internally.
So, from PD, no adjustments available on my unit. It does taper to 0.01 amps after reaching 14.6 and holds it at 13.6. It's not real clear to me still if it then waits to see 90% or less to initiate another charge cycle. I guess I'll have to babysit it next time I'm there. Thank you all for all of your input. My next focus is an AIO, that perhaps has better charging options.

So, from PD, no adjustments available on my unit. It does taper to 0.01 amps after reaching 14.6 and holds it at 13.6. It's not real clear to me still if it then waits to see 90% or less to initiate another charge cycle. I guess I'll have to babysit it next time I'm there. Thank you all for all of your input. My next focus is an AIO, that perhaps has better charging options.
Personally If the unit is past warranty I would have a look inside.
14.4bullk/absorb and 13.4float would be better.

So, from PD, no adjustments available on my unit.
Did you take the cover off and look?

TC33X%20SERIES.jpg

Ha, those look just like the pots on my 35A Astron power supply. I'm still lobbying to have you check the float voltage at the battery, 13.6 at the charger could easily be 13.4 or less at the battery.
By now the amps should be zero and no voltage drop.

Ha, those look just like the pots on my 35A Astron power supply. I'm still lobbying to have you check the float voltage at the battery, 13.6 at the charger could easily be 13.4 or less at the battery.
Right now I have this (sorry it's so big)Battery hall effect monitor.jpg on the wire from the charger/inverter to the 12 V fuse panel positive side, which the batteries are also connected to. It reads 40+ amps when it starts and the battery voltage and drops to 13.6 after going to a high of14.6. When charged, It alternates between .000 amps and .001 amps and drops to 13.6V. I usually unplug the charger at that point until I've drawn the batteries down a bit.

Back