diy solar

diy solar

Can I monitor SolarEdge inverter data on local network?

mpemburn

Hi folks!

We have a system with two SolarEdge SE3000H inverters (for house and barn), and I just figured out how to connect one of them to my local area network. This is exciting since it means we don't have to spend about $1,000 to replace the soon-to-be-obsolete 3G systems. Now that I can see the inverter (via ping), how can I monitor the data? I do have software development skills, but they maybe not to the depth needed to get to something at a low level.

Thanks in advance!

Mark Pemburn
Bel Air, MD US

There are some attempts to do this out there on GitHub. It's non-trivial to talk to the inverter directly over ethernet. Do you have it connected to the monitoring server?

The inverters also have RS485 which allows for communication to a 3rd party logging device/software.

This might not be the solution that you are looking for but if you have an old computer with Windows Pro that you can connect the RS485 to (located at the inverter site) you can use Remote Desktop to monitor the remote session. I do this with an old laptop that is in the garage in WiFi, just use Remote Desktop session to run the local RS485 monitor program.

This might not be the solution that you are looking for but if you have an old computer with Windows Pro that you can connect the RS485 to (located at the inverter site) you can use Remote Desktop to monitor the remote session. I do this with an old laptop that is in the garage in WiFi, just use Remote Desktop session to run the local RS485 monitor program.
Thanks! I don’t have Windows (strictly Mac), but I don’t need to anymore—I had my installers come out and set the monitoring to my local area network.

Btw: I noted somewhere that you can hook up and RS485 to a Raspberry Pi and actually mount it inside the inverter.

Thanks! I don’t have Windows (strictly Mac), but I don’t need to anymore—I had my installers come out and set the monitoring to my local area network.

Btw: I noted somewhere that you can hook up and RS485 to a Raspberry Pi and actually mount it inside the inverter.
15 years ago I purchased some RS485 digital radio modules. RS485 is good for about 4000 feet but the portable wiring (fireworks control system) is a pain. Little radio module would talk over 1/2 mile line of site, so pretty sweet solution. The RS485 system never knew the radio had replaced the cable. Maybe I need to get back into some of that stuff, retiring soon, with more play time.

and I just figured out how to connect one of them to my local area network.
Can you explain how you did this? We do not need remote monitoring, pc connection or iPhone connection near the inverter is sufficient (currently no monitoring capability since installer went under).

Can you explain how you did this? We do not need remote monitoring, pc connection or iPhone connection near the inverter is sufficient (currently no monitoring capability since installer went under).
The SE3000-H has an Ethernet port located at the bottom edge of the main circuit board, mounted vertically. It’s a little tricky getting the cable in there because the hole in the weatherproof “gland” at bottom of the unit isn’t very large.

Once installed, I plugged it into a WiFi extender that connects to my house network. The mySolarEdge app will tell you whether it’s connected via Ethernet. I used the “connected devices” page of my router indicated what the IP address was, and I was able to ping this in my computer’s terminal app. According to the manual, Ethernet is listening on port 22222, but I haven’t verified this.

Here’s a link to the manual: https://www.solaredge.com/sites/default/files/se_hd_wave_inverter_installation_guide_na.pdf
The relevant information is on pages 53-59.

Back