diy solar

diy solar

Can I use 2 different voltage MPPT controllers on one solar array, at the same time?

greengooseman

I have a 3kw solar array powering a 48V system in my garage. Could I parallel a second MPPT controller @ 24V to charge a portable solar generator? Basically using the same 9 (325W) panels to charge both my 48V bank and 24V bank at the same time. My initial thought is that the 2 controllers would fight each other constantly trying to find the best point to charge.

I have a 3kw solar array powering a 48V system in my garage. Could I parallel a second MPPT controller @ 24V to charge a portable solar generator? Basically using the same 9 (325W) panels to charge both my 48V bank and 24V bank at the same time. My initial thought is that the 2 controllers would fight each other constantly trying to find the best point to charge.
Yeah, that wouldn’t work...

However, if your solar generator can accept 48V, it might be able to charge from the 48V array controller.

you CAN, but it wont work right.
Each MPPT controller has to have it's own PV array.

I have a pair of Heliene 72-380 Bifacial panels I plan to setup in parallel. I have two systems of battery, SCC and inverter. One is a 12V 60AH LiFePO4 battery, 20amp MPPT SCC and a 1000watt inverter. The other is a 12V 200AH LiFePO4 battery, 60amp MPPT SCC and a 2200watt inverter. Both are 12v systems.

The panels are 72-cell monocrystalline panels
Peak Rated Power Pmpp (W) 380
Maximum Power Voltage Vmpp (V) 41.20
Maximum Power Current Impp (A) 9. 23
Open Circuit Voltage Voc (V) 50.51
Short Circuit Current Isc (A) 9.63

The SCCs are a RICH SOLAR 20 Amp 12V/24V DC Input MPPT and a AMPINVT 60A MPPT Solar Charge Controller 12V 24V 36V 48V Auto,Max 150VDC Input 3400 Watts.

Can I feed both of these systems from the same solar array? I can see that having two systems with different voltages might complicate things ad call for a separate array for each system but if both systems are the same voltage I wold think that might work. I am new at. this so I am probably missing some something.

No it will not work, the controller needs exclusive access to the panels. The MPPT......maximum power point tracking controller must sweep the panel from no load open circuit to short circuit to find the MPP a second controller in there will not allow this to happen and the two controllers will fight each other for control. It is possible with PWM and series controllers but not with shunt controllers or MPPT controllers......dont worry about the series and shunt controllers, they are long since obsolete and are in museums....

No it will not work, the controller needs exclusive access to the panels. The MPPT......maximum power point tracking controller must sweep the panel from no load open circuit to short circuit to find the MPP a second controller in there will not allow this to happen and the two controllers will fight each other for control. It is possible with PWM and series controllers but not with shunt controllers or MPPT controllers......dont worry about the series and shunt controllers, they are long since obsolete and are in museums....

Unless you have an Electrodacus... :)

Back