diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a 120V Inverter on a 240V house?

You can power loads rated for 120V with a 120V inverter. I'm not sure your location, but if you're in the US - most home loads are 120V. The 240V would be larger appliances, such as an electric stove, cloths dryer, central air conditioning, etc.

Is your house 240VAC@50hz or 120/240VAC@60hz?
In other words do you live in North America or elsewhere?

Is your house 240VAC@50hz or 120/240VAC@60hz?
In other words do you live in North America or elsewhere?
I have no idea, but I do know that live in North America. LOL. I'm trying to figure out the best value inverter to cover all needs and allow maximum expansion potential. I would like to put more and more of my loan off grid, but keep access to the grid.

The Growatt SPF5000ES seems like it would be great, but I just saw a video from Jan. in which Will explained there are issue with grounding.
This one (https://watts247.com/product/lvx-6048-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120v-240v/) seems good too and can be paralleled up to 9 units (54kw). Sol-Ark may be the best, but the cost is prohibitive. Any opinions about any of these? Or do you have another one that you think is better?

The Growatt SPF5000ES seems like it would be great, but I just saw a video from Jan. in which Will explained there are issue with grounding.
This one (https://watts247.com/product/lvx-6048-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120v-240v/) seems good too and can be paralleled up to 9 units (54kw). Sol-Ark may be the best, but the cost is prohibitive. Any opinions about any of these? Or do you have another one that you think is better?
If the Sol-Ark is out of your price range AFAIK that leaves MPP or Growatt.
I'm sure someone with more all in one knowledge will be along to help.

I think that unit is a single phase, 240 volt, European model. Not worth the headache, IMHO.

To try and keep it simple, in North America, the breaker box has 3 main wires, two 120 volt legs, and one neutral (and a ground, but it's not relevant to this conversation). If you connect the two hot legs, it makes 240v, if you go from one hot to the neutral, you get 120v. Things like clothes dryers, dishwashers, HVAC, electric stoves, and hot water heaters usually take the two hot legs to make 240v. Everything else (for the most part) is running on one hot leg, plus the neutral, for 120v. This is a pretty extreme simplification, and there's a lot more to it than that.

That Growatt (IIRC) puts out 240v on a single leg, and requires a special transformer to make it into usable "U.S power". If you wanted install your inverter to be a "drop in", without rewiring a whole bunch of circuits on your house, or using two separate inverters, you would need a 240v "split phase" unit. That one is for Europe (and I guess most of the world).

If your plan is to just plug appliances into your inverter, or wire up a standalone system, a 120v single phase inverter is what you are looking for.

Can a transformer be used so that 240v items can be powered by a 120v inverter?

Or can a transformer only allow 120v items to be powered by a 240v inverter?

They ‘can’ but I wouldn’t do it. I’d buy the right US models and properly arrange them to run a subpanel that handles your needs safely without hoop jumping or high wire dancing. I can see why you would want to run a 240V well pump on solar but if you’re wanting to be running a water heater or electric range I personally would not want to spend the money to accomplish that.

No, not in North America. You could step it up to 240v single phase, but anything here would take 240v split phase. The motors inside the equipment are wound differently. In some cases you could use two separate 120v inverters to make a "split phase" 240v, but you definitely need to check the spec sheets and make sure they can be linked.

Here's a quick explanation of how it works.

That could be done, but would more or less defeat the purpose of getting the 240v unit, because you still couldn't run your 240v items.

That being said, there's a way to set it up with a special kind of transformer, and I don't mean this to be offensive, but if you don't have a solid understanding of electricity, that specific install probably isn't for you. Search for "Growatt SPF500-ES autotransformer" and see if its something you feel comfortable doing.

IMHO, the few extra bucks it costs for a 240 volt, North American, split phase unit will save you a ton of headache, time, and possibly a few good shocks if you are trying to run 240v stuff.

Edit: I just saw the Growatts on Amazon, the split phase ones are like $100 more, the way people talk about the "ES" model, I assumed it was WAY cheaper than that.

Last edited:

Transformer can step up the voltage, step down the voltage, and/or create split-phase 240/120 service. However the size to power your home will be significant and the set up will be a costly addition. Transformer does not make power, just converts voltage.

Far better to get the right inverter and power the items direct.

Hi jfh88888, where are you geographically?
Most posts are from north Amercans who have a weird split phase system where they get 4 wires- 2 carrying 120v, an earth wire plus a negative. I think - very confusing if you have lived with 240v all your life with occasional brushes with 3 phase.
Most old world and australasian countries stick to a simple 230 or 240v. The problems in the US relate to this crazy double 120v system. Not a problem if you live in 240volt land I reckon.
I stand to be corrected but I think in the US they get 240 off the grid which is then split but some is still 240v for heavy duty appliances such as water heaters and ovens. Makes no sense to use a US split phase inverter in 240v world.

UNLESS you have moved to America and have brought 240 stuff with you!

I live in northern California (CA). I just saw that Sol Ark now has a 15k system coming out in May-June. Maybe that's the way to go. Do you think that would be enough to run my 3.5 ton Mitsubishi VRF (variable refrigerant flow) central A/C for 2-3 hours per day?

I live in northern California (CA). I just saw that Sol Ark now has a 15k system coming out in May-June. Maybe that's the way to go. Do you think that would be enough to run my 3.5 ton Mitsubishi VRF (variable refrigerant flow) central A/C for 2-3 hours per day?
I think it should start the A/C fine. Run time will depend on battery capacity. I assume the running power is close to 3kW

Back