diy solar

diy solar

Can I use a generator in this configuration?

Troubleshooter

It's a 24kW generator, and my solar inverter can only pass through 12kW, so I'm looking to have the ability for some specific 240v equipment to run directly off generator. The rest of the time I want the ability for Sol-ark to turn it on/off for backup use.

Capture.PNG

There is a Grid input to the Sub Panel? This high level overview looks like a normal critical loads panel setup.

There is a Grid input to the Sub Panel? This high level overview looks like a normal critical loads panel setup.
that's the Grid input of the Sol-ark. This system is off-grid. My main concern is with inverter telling the generator to shut off if charge conditions are met, but I want to keep it running to be used for some loads that don't want running through Sol-ark.

Well, I guess this Sol-ark diagram is pretty much what I want, just I would have no Utility and transfer switch. Still my question stands, if I turn on the generator manually, and while it's running the conditions of the battery bank are such that normally Sol-ark would tell the generator to shut off, but I would like to keep it running to use some loads that connected to the "main breaker panel" (on this diagram).
Capture2.PNG

The generator doesn't have a manual on switch which would keep it on?

I am sure you can wire in a remote manual switch to force power the generator on when you want to force it on. This switch would be paralleled into the 2-wire start wire at any point in that wire.

I set my system up so that all breakers for the house are in a critical load panel. The only breakers in the original main panel are breakers for the inverters, one breaker for an EMP Shield, and a breaker for my generator. I shut the main breaker off, then connect the gas generator and THEN turn the generator breaker on. My inverter recognizes it as the utility and lets the house power up through the generator while it charges the batteries.

I set my system up so that all breakers for the house are in a critical load panel. The only breakers in the original main panel are breakers for the inverters, one breaker for an EMP Shield, and a breaker for my generator. I shut the main breaker off, then connect the gas generator and THEN turn the generator breaker on. My inverter recognizes it as the utility and lets the house power up through the generator while it charges the batteries.
Doing this may work on old style large generators like the OP has but wouldn't try it on a small or inverter based generator. Also solar can't be a lot bigger then the generator(the solar power has to have somewhere to go). Not sayin this is a good thing to try and I have not but I have a 50k gen and always thought of trying. Trying this on any generator could fry it. The hardest thing is to have a stable speed of the generator, if it varies the solar inverter will likely go off line and try again in 5 min, over and over again.

Doing this may work on old style large generators like the OP has but wouldn't try it on a small or inverter based generator. Also solar can't be a lot bigger then the generator(the solar power has to have somewhere to go). Not sayin this is a good thing to try and I have not but I have a 50k gen and always thought of trying. Trying this on any generator could fry it. The hardest thing is to have a stable speed of the generator, if it varies the solar inverter will likely go off line and try again in 5 min, over and over again.
I have 3 MPP LV5048 inverters wired in parallel. I used the settings to have only one inverter do the charging from the generator, my generator is rated at 5500 watts continuous usage. The generator idles just fine and I haven't had any issues so far. 50K is a huge generator for sure though, i'm not sure how that would go? While charging on my system it take 5-6 hours to fully charge my battery bank, which is 750ah at 48volts.

I have 3 MPP LV5048 inverters wired in parallel. I used the settings to have only one inverter do the charging from the generator, my generator is rated at 5500 watts continuous usage. The generator idles just fine and I haven't had any issues so far. 50K is a huge generator for sure though, i'm not sure how that would go? While charging on my system it take 5-6 hours to fully charge my battery bank, which is 750ah at 48volts.
O' I thought you had a standard inverter. Yes, a hybrid inverter is setup to do this.

Back