diy solar

diy solar

'Can I use' and 'how to wire' Line to Line 480V, Line to Neutral 277 VAC for Grid Tie?

hhiibel

My Grid Tie will be peak 29.8 KW. I see the 33.3 KW Solar Edge Inverter. See attached specs. Can I wire this to the grid? Do I connect to a 220/240 Vac circuit? Or some how create a residential 480Vac circuit, would the Utility see my output correctly? I have 98 panels: 310W, 36.38V, 8.52A. My latitude is 37.95. I will be fixed tilt at 32 degrees. Will I ever peak near 29.8KW? I don't understand planning for inverter operating range of 840-1000Vdc with respect to varying output during the day/year. So can I grid tie this inverter and do I have to stay above the minimum of the 840-1000Vdc operating range and how?

Attachments

• 33.3KW.jpg
    33.3KW.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 8
  • se-three-phase-us-inverter-datasheet.pdf
    230.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can I wire this to the grid?
Call your utility and see what the rules are. My guess is you'll have to have your gear all setup on your side, then have the utility come out to connect your stuff to their stuff. There might be special rules for things you have to have in place in advance. For example here anything over a 10 kW array needs insurance documented for a net-metering agreement and there are extra fees.

My Grid Tie will be peak 29.8 KW. I see the 33.3 KW Solar Edge Inverter. See attached specs. Can I wire this to the grid? Do I connect to a 220/240 Vac circuit? Or some how create a residential 480Vac circuit, would the Utility see my output correctly? I have 98 panels: 310W, 36.38V, 8.52A. My latitude is 37.95. I will be fixed tilt at 32 degrees. Will I ever peak near 29.8KW? I don't understand planning for inverter operating range of 840-1000Vdc with respect to varying output during the day/year. So can I grid tie this inverter and do I have to stay above the minimum of the 840-1000Vdc operating range and how?
I think the answer to 840-1000Vdc is the panels always put out the same Vdc its just the amps that vary as sunlight varies?

Sorry, when I ask can I hook to the grid, I mean can I hook this output Vac to a residential connection. Meaning I'm unsure of 'how' and 'if' the connection to my house will like 480Vac. And if not, can I do the 240Vac to a 220/240Vac circuit I do have at the house. For my utility there is simple paperwork and an inspection to verify shutoff switch. The limit is 30Kw unless I go thru the hassle to become a 'producer'.

The appeal of this inverter is the cost vs. buying 98 micro inverters.

Keep the replies coming.

Thanks.

One other thing, this house did have a similar sized array from the previous owner who mistakenly went the title encumbering loan route. Fortunately, it was voided by a foreclosure on the house. I told the entity still owning the array to take it away. They would not negotiate on a purchase. They wanted the contracted 60K. I mention this because the box and wires where it was all connected is still in place. I plan to route my setup to same box and wires (maybe). I'm into my new never used panels for 4K (they were blemishes).

ok. i get it now. i'd have to run a 480 to 240 transformer. so looking at only inverters of 240/120 output. i'm seeing cheap micro's listed as not outdoor (seems weird). approx. $50.

Back