diy solar

diy solar

Can I use different Ah batteries in a bank?

jesfl

I sought an answer a couple of days ago at the end of a long thread about my solar system (batteries/BMS) failure.

Can I use one new 12V 100Ah LiFePo4 battery with my existing (3) 150Ah batteries . . . if I can repair those 3 batteries with new BMS units (wishful thinking)?

A "no" pretty much means I would be wasting $700-800, or more. to "get by" for a month or two buying a new battery.

I searched a lot on the Forum. I found several discussions that seem to indicate using different Ah-size batters in a bank is possible. But honestly, the technical references and other uncommon terminology lost me before I could find a simple definitive answer of "yes" or "no"? (Or, find qualifying parameters that would lead me to a decision.)

I'm desperate because I've been without batteries boondocking for many weeks and my tolerance is exhausted. (Bought a cheap Walmart SLA for overnight power for alarms, fridge, etc.) Use solar for things when there is sunshine, but I do not have microwave and other appliances.

I am about to order a single 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 battery to try to muddle by for a month or two.

I am just looking for a "yes," it can be done, or a "no," not possible.

If yes, I'll buy a better quality 100Ah battery.

If no, I'll go as cheap as I can and, sorrowfully, consider it a throwaway.

Or, should I only consider buying a 150Ah battery so I can be used in a bank, if my dead 150Ah batteries are repairable?

I will appreciate any guidance,

Thank you, again.

Jim S.

Yes as long as the battery packs are in parallel. No issues.

Series to make 24+ volts is trouble.

I have been running my two DIY battery banks (each one with its own BMS), one is 90Ah (first built), another one is 280Ah (second built), for about 3 months now, no problem that I can see so far, I charge and discharge about 3200 ~ 3400Wh every day. I am saving money to build another 280Ah pack.

Thanks to both of you. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will order a 100Ah lithium battery this morning.

What I could not find mention of anywhere was whether different Ah batteries cause any solar or other charging problems?

Bud, in your case, do I understand that you have two separated, different-Ah-sized banks (90Ah & 280Ah) with those banks then connected parallel? Is that how it works?

Your quick responses are very much appreciated.

Jim S.

Thanks to both of you. That is exactly what I needed to know. I will order a 100Ah lithium battery this morning.

What I could not find mention of anywhere was whether different Ah batteries cause any solar or other charging problems?

Bud, in your case, do I understand that you have two separated, different-Ah-sized banks (90Ah & 280Ah) with those banks then connected parallel? Is that how it works?

Your quick responses are very much appreciated.

Jim S.
Yes, I built 2 battery packs, each one with its own BMS, the packs are connected in parallel.

Just curious what the Ah would be with the 2 different batteries. I'm assuming the saying still is true that the 2 in parallel Ah are added together?

Just curious what the Ah would be with the 2 different batteries. I'm assuming the saying still is true that the 2 in parallel Ah are added together?
Yes, the Ah values are additive. The one concern with batteries in parallel is: the battery connections must be carefully balanced (in resistance), or you will tend pull from the "nearest" battery when you are running a high-current device. But that issue is not directly tied to the Ah, it's already present with your 3 current 150Ah batteries.

Back