diy solar

diy solar

Can I use massive cables in place of bus bars in my battery build?

Terrapin

I have some pelican cases that will make absolutely bomb proof battery cases They are internally about 6"x11"x16".

I think that I am going to go with these 240ah B-rated cells that Will reviewed and linked. My thinking is that even as they fail somewhat in capacity I will still have tons of single battery storage compared to even a 200ah battery build that would cost me much more. Also the nature of building it in that case well secured will protect the kind of flimsy terminals once it is all secured in place inside. I really want to be able to use one of these cases as the handle will be very convenient and the case will fit nicely in place of the external battery box on my Travel trailer and it is waterproof to the extreme on it's own. To keep it that way I am thinking only wire leads coming out of the box silicon sealed where they exit.

These are the cells: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...5b3137074b2b9af45bf03ab099b7&tmLog=new_Detail

The BMS on hand for this is the Overkill 120a 4S that I ordered with upgraded size 8 wires a foot long to reach around inside this case. Besides the direct 12v that the trailer will use there will be a 1500 pure-sine inverter mounted on the inside wall of the trailer about 20" from the batteries location on the tounge. I just can't mount and protect it outside any closer...I will be wiring an external outlet near it so the shore power can be attached if desired. Space permitting it will also get an internal MPPT.

But I never asked anyone if I can series the actual cells using big cables in place of bus bars. Or maybe bus two cells twice and cable the "two packs" as close as possible. I don't know that the four cells will fit in that case in a standard side by side configuration.

Q#1:Any comments on my plan?

Q#2: I am wondering if there is a disadvantage to securing the battery cells and or BMS using an expandable foam?

Q#3 Maybe just secure the cells with the foam and let the BMS breath is better? (I see many batteries professionally built with cases that have no apparent venting for heat but just some distance/shielding/insulation between the BMS and the cells themselves.)

Don't use expandable foam. If the BMS or a cell develops an issue you will have a big mess to deal with.

Don't use expandable foam. If the BMS or a cell develops an issue you will have a big mess to deal with.
Good point...Maybe line the case and wrap the components in cling wrap...IDK...Still lining up the cells so I have time to save shipping foam from other stuff too. Thx

Back